SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ishareflowers

MA. PLANT SWAP 2016

ishareflowers {Lisa}
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

It looks as though there will be no swap on the North shore this year so I have decided to host one.There will be a pot luck brunch after swapping for those of us to like to stay and chat with other gardeners.

I'll provide paper goods, drinks{coffee, water and soda} and Italian quiche and a banana bread or something like that for the food table. If you would like to bring something for the food table please post here so we don't have too much of one thing.

I'll post a list of plants that I have available for trading as I clean up the gardens.

I could do Saturday the 4th or Sunday the 5th of June in Tewksbury, MA.

I think a 9am start is good for the early birds and a look at what is being offered with swapping beginning at 10am.

Please post here if you are interested and what date works best for you.

Plant swap; Tewksbury

Date: June 4th/5th

Time: 9am with swapping beginning at 10am

Lisa/ishare

Comments (39)

• deirdre13 sullivan
    7 years ago

Lisa,

SO happy to hear you'll be hosting a swap, I finally get to see your garden!

Either day is good for me. I'll talk to Piera and see if she has a preference.

I don't have plant material to contribute, since I'm starting out in a new garden, but I'll bring some garden books, and something for the food table.

I could also bring a split leaf philodendron houseplant.

Look forward to seeing you.

Deirdre

• Mizzteek Z6 MA
    7 years ago

The NE Plant Swap in Walpole is on June 4th. Hopefully both swaps have a good turnout.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3821837/2016-new-england-plant-swap-june-4-2016-9-noon-walpole-ma?n=1

• daffodil33
    7 years ago

Hi Lisa, we met in Billerica a couple of years back. Don't have much to bring unfortunately for outdoor plants, but can bring Aloe and spider indoor plants. Can definitely bring bagels and cream sheesh for the brunch. Can only make it on Sat. Thanks for hosting!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It looks like a lot of the swappers from the Billerica swap that Fran used to host are no longer looking at this forum. It may end up being a garden party if we don't have many people join in. I will have plants to offer up either way.

Lisa

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mizzteek, I forgot about the one in Walpole but it is approx. an hour away from where I am located and will likely attract more people from the south shore.

• deirdre13 sullivan
    7 years ago

Garden swap-garden party, either sounds good to me.

It's an opportunity for like minded garden geeks to get together.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Deirdre, I'm potting up plants anyway. If it's only a handful then you get more each.....lol

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Daffodil, you have no link to email you :}

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Daffodil, Can you share that list with me?

I gave Fran a call a few weeks ago to see if she was hosting. She returned my call but things have been busy here and I haven't had a chance to call her back after 8am. I should be home today so I'll call her this afternoon and see if she can get out to join the swap here.

Would anyone attending be interested in anemone queen charlotte? This lady is sure a spreader....

• deirdre13 sullivan
    7 years ago

Lisa, I'd love some, have a spot where she'll be contained, so no worries there.

• daffodil33
    7 years ago

Yes, I will email you the list, sorry just saw this, thanks

• daffodil33
    7 years ago

Would anyone like kousa dogwood babies, or Lilly of the valley? Thanks

• ishareflowers {Lisa} thanked daffodil33
  • ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    7 years ago

daffodil, Thank you for the link. I found that too but none of the swappers have an email connected to their account :{

• daffodil33
    7 years ago

Yes, I thought I had the emails, but I could not find them either for some reason.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I contacted Fran, she only had a few emails so that idea is out. I did contact 2 people. Agnes will be coming but just for some garden convo. she didn't grow this year. Katlama has plans but may come if she can. I may let a couple of local gardeners know about the swap as well. Debrafaust will be joining us.

Is there anything special anyone is looking for?

So far I have potted up some named Hosta, named daylilies,unnamed daylilies, named geraniums,lysmachia firecracker,sedum tomentosum{spreads bad}, monarda raspberry wine, sweet cicely and several others I cant think of right now. I'll pot up starts of as many things as I can before the swap. I will also have leftovers from my winter sowing if they interest anyone.

I'll have some garden books to give away and probably some other garden related items as well.

Lisa

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Is anyone interested in Solommons seal plain or variegated?

I have a couple of pots of Geranium Hazel Gallagher.

I should have a couple other geraniums.

I also have a lot of garden phlox that have seeded themselves everywhere. If anyone is interested let me know. I have no idea which ones seeded.

I have a few may apples to offer up as well. I may dig up starts of epimedium if there is interest.

I'll post as I find things. I may hold back a few things to bring to Thymes swap if I decide to drag someone along with me.

Lisa

• Heidi Mover
    7 years ago

Hi Lisa and everyone,

Fran passed along this info to me. This is Heidi, I used to help her with her annual swaps and I'd love to come to yours if I'm able. The Garden Club I'm part of just held our annual sale but many of my plants are getting a late start this year so I have a second wave of "volunteer divisions" that are only now getting big enough to dig. Like many others I am trying to "right-size" my garden, meaning try to get realistic about my "must have" list.

I will have oregano, chives, lemon balm, rose campion, forget-me-not (already flowered). If you are feeling adventurous, I have 1/2 dozen extra purchased sweet potato plants which can be "iffy" but rewarding. They need about 90 days over 50 degrees; they don't grow if the temp is lower than that but love really hot weather. They've done OK for me in a large container with black plastic to keep the soil warm.

If anyone wants them I can have perennial (gold) alyssum, lily of the valley, vinca, alpine strawberry (tiny berries with intense flavor), year old naturalized columbine (purple downward facing flowers), magenta cranebill geranium, ox eye daisies, small purple irises, violets (if you have a way to contain them), and all the orange day lilies you could use.

I would love pink creeping phlox, batisia, also if anyone has started extra marigolds, nasturtium, sweet pea, snapdragon, portulaca.

• User
    7 years ago

I've read this twice (albiet with a baby on my lap) is the date on the 4th or 5th? I'll certainly try and make it out but advanced planning is required these days.

ishareflowers {Lisa} thanked User
  • ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh geez, I guess I didn't post that I decided upon Saturday June 4th at 9am, swapping will begin whenever everyone wants...lol

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Heidi, of course you can come! I'd be happy to have you.

• Nessdizzle Formally 6a, now 9b Central Florida
    7 years ago

Hi I was just told about these swaps from NHBabs...I'm a newbie to gardening so I'm not sure how these go but I'd love to hear more..that is if this is open to anyone? If not, my apologies

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nessdizzle, All are welcome to attend the plant swap.

It is a very informal gathering of garden geeks that want to expand their gardens by swapping are sharing pieces of plants they already have for plants they don't have.

There are always new people joining in and even if you only have a plant or two you will go home with much more. If you have nothing to swap, still go to a swap. There are always plants left over for the taking. I know I have never taken home plants that I brought to a swap. I always put them in the grab and go section for new gardeners.

Lisa

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    7 years ago

If anyone needs directions you can email me at ishareflowers@aol.com.

I think I'm as ready as I'm going to be for a swap planned in two weeks.

I have quite a few pots of plants potted up and will try to do more in the next couple of days.

• Nessdizzle Formally 6a, now 9b Central Florida
    7 years ago

Is there any plant swaps closer to Worcester area? Just curious as this is pretty far from me..

• deirdre13 sullivan
    7 years ago

Lisa,

I got some climbing hydrangea from the old house yesterday, so between mine and Thyme's, you should be all set.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nessdizzle, there is a swap in Walpole on Saturday. Thank you deidre!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I had a change of plans and decided to go with chicken salad finger sandwich with red bliss potato salad and cole slaw for those of you staying for lunch.

I'm as done as I can be considering the time between deciding to have the swap and today was only about 2 weeks.

I will be tying a balloon to indicate where to take your turn onto my street{it's easily missed}.

Lisa

• dfaustclancy
    7 years ago

Yikes I didn't realize this (MASS SWAP) was a seperate thread from Thyme's thread.... I posted over there today..... Am I the only one who didn't know there was a seperate thread? So here's my post... Deja vu all over again. :)

Hello all,

For Lisa's Swap tomorrow: I am bringing a lemoncello cake for the table and will have some of the following:

shasta daisy 'becky'

herb: tanaceum vulgare

heliopsis 'summer sun'

nasturtiums ready to bud

couple Heavenly Blue morning glories.

Japanese primrose (Miller's Crimson)

comfrey (tall with purple blooms)

petasites japonicus nickname: Butterbur or Dinosaur food (huge leaves, runs rampant)

Daffodil, I'd love a Kousa dogwood baby. Check my list for something for your garden.

Heidi, Can you save me a sweet potatoe plant and a gold alyssum? That is a spring bloomer, right? Check my list for your garden.

See everyone tomorrow at 9 am.

Debra

• Heidi Mover
    7 years ago

Has anyone tried a visual plant identification app for smartphones? I have been playing around with Like That-Garden (matches photo you take of plant to database) and GrowIt (crowd sourced identification of plant photo) with mixed results. I'd love to hear about others' experiences with these or similar apps!

• dfaustclancy
    7 years ago

There is a plant ID thread here on Houzz. It used to be called Name That Plant. These folks are supremely knowledgeable. Try it. I've used it many times.

• deirdre13 sullivan
    7 years ago

Hey Lisa,

Great time, beautiful gardens, great host, and great people!

Here's to the start of another tradition!

Maybe a fall swap too? Or is that a little to pushy?

See you next weekend for Thymes swap!

• deirdre13 sullivan
    7 years ago

I forgot to say Thank you, which was the whole point of the post. Thank you!

ishareflowers {Lisa} thanked deirdre13 sullivan
  • daffodil33
    7 years ago

Thanks so much Lisa. We had a blast!

Thanks everyone, and nice meeting you all.

ishareflowers {Lisa} thanked daffodil33
  • ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It was a small group of 12 swappers but I think everyone went home with a new bounty of plants. I know a certain someone would had to carry things on their lap because the car was too full....lol We had a happy newbie couple that went home with some good plant material.

Deidre, a fall swap? I will have to think about that, my Daughter is getting married November, 12th. Her bridesmaid chose to have her bridal shower here at my house on September, 11th. I have to plan and plant a cutting garden this week for the side of the yard next to the overhead. I told them I would grow all the centerpieces and do most of the food and drink. I don't know how ambitious I'll be feeling after that and the final wedding preparations will be full swing at swap time.

Chai, it was my pleasure. As you saw, where I live I'm not able to show my gardens to passers by. It was nice to get feedback on what others thought about what I have done with my space.

Looking forward to Thyme's swap next weekend. Hoping to have some time this week to dig a bit more.

• dfaustclancy
    7 years ago

Lisa, Thank you so much for a memorable day in your lovely and extensive gardens. Your place is plant heaven. I'm glad I was able to provide a few plants that you lusted after (!) It was a pleasure to meet your talented husband and very beautiful daughter. We had a great lunch and I was amazed at what a wonderful diversity of plants you were able to provide at such short notice! (Two weeks.) I know I couldn't have done it. Thanks to all those who gave me plants!

Debra

ishareflowers {Lisa} thanked dfaustclancy
  • Heidi Mover
    7 years ago

Lisa, sounds like everyone would agree that the swap was a rousing success! I don't know how it could have been more perfect if you'd been planning it for months; beautiful weather, great size for a group, diverse gardening interests/ plants brought to swap, and of course-great food! :) I loved seeing and learning about your many gardens in their different settings, also it was a wonderful opportunity to re-connect with familiar faces as well as meet new gardeners, get the details on what everyone is doing in their gardens and see first hand some of the plants I've been hearing mentioned but had no experience of. (There's only so much you can pick up from Google!) Many, many thanks to you for your initiative and organization in re-creating this very special and unique gathering, and to everyone who came, bringing their green thumbs, wisdom, and plants to share.

Heidi

ishareflowers {Lisa} thanked Heidi Mover
  • donnamackey
    7 years ago

Hi Lisa.......I live in Tewksbury and I met a woman named Valrie on one of my gardening groups. She mentioned you because we are both from Tewksbury. She lives in Braintree. I would love to join a gardening group in the area. If you are doing a plant swap in 2017 would you please email me? It would be so nice to meet fellow gardeners. Thanks Lisa. Hope to hear from you soon. donnamackey@gmail.com

Donna