SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16535275

Tree Selection

User
8 years ago

Working on selecting plants and trees for our backyard. Our design needs one medium deciduous tree. Our landscaper suggested Acer Rubrum October Glory but I think that might be a smidge too big of a tree. Looking for something with a 25 foot spread, maybe 30 maximum (more concerned about spread than height).

Upon visiting my local nursery, it was suggested to use Acer Truncatum Crimson Sunset. I also took note of Acer Truncatum Pacific Sunset. I saw Acer Rubrum Brandywine but that may end up being actually too small.

Upon reviewing the internet I also found Acer Rubrum HOSR, but I don't think I saw this at the nursery so I'm not sure if it's not a good choice or if there is a downside to this one I don't know about or what. Or maybe it's just flat out not available? I forgot to actually ask at the nursery.

Now, I'm not married to the idea of having a maple, it's just all we ever get suggestions for when we visit the nurseries (more than 1, different companies, etc). I'm open to any suggestions, and when I posted these questions on the Landscape Design forum I didn't get any feasible answers. I just kept getting told 'surely there are better native trees you could plant' but oaks get way to big, others are way too messy, some are just too ugly etc.

Our criteria are 25 foot spread (mayyyybe 30 if it's otherwise a great tree), a decently fast growth rate, not super messy...I know they drop leaves but crazy fruit/flower/seed pod mess is a no-go, and pretty. We live in Roseville, CA, so just outside Sacramento.

Our backyard borders a busy-ish street so we, in essence, want to make the wall taller with a living wall of sorts. The tree will go in the far corner where we don't need quite as much screening, so the leaves in the summer when the yard is most used will do there, which is why 1 deciduous.

I also need more suggestions as to what evergreen/conifer/do-not-drop-their-leaves trees and shrubs will be useful as a screen (the wall is 8 feet tall, so 10-12 feet tall...preferably 12) but will not spread out real far. The border of the yard where they will be planted is 8 feet deep with grass in front of it and I don't want them spreading into the grass very much. So far on my list: Thuja Plicate Forever Goldy, Purple Hopseed (in tree form so I can plant other things in front of it), and a Saucer Magnolia (I'm told those aren't as messy as other Magnolia trees). Any other suggestions would be wonderful.

Sorry for the long post, down to the wire to select plants. :)

Comments (13)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus