SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adamsdp111

Need help - cork vs wide plank hardwood in kitchen

Dave Adams
7 years ago

Hi,

I am trying to decide betweeen cork and wide plank hardwood for my kitchen. I have a son who has chemical sensitivities so want to use natural products with the least amount of off gassing of man made chemicals as possible. I have eliminated engineered flooring due to not knowing what glues, etc and their offgassing issues are in the laminate layers as well as click lock cork for the same reason

I have zeroed in on glue-down cork flooring from Globus and unfinished wide plank white oak flooring in a 6" width. I think I like the look of the wood flooring better but am concerned about possible cupping, crowning or buckling issues. We live in Michigan so have wide swings of humidity from winter (dry forced air heat) to summer (high humidity - i don't like to use the AC unless really hot > 85 -90 outiside). I have read various websites on gotten opinions on cupping and depending on who you talk to, it can be a major risk or not one at all if you simply put enough nails - every 6" in the tongue and use a well kiln dried quality hardwood.

I have read that cork is comfortable to walk on and the pattern I have picked is very irregular so any scratches or dents should be easy to fill and refinish so that they aren't noticeable. If I went with wood, I am thinking that I would get a rustic grade and hoping this would hide dents from kids dropping cups, etc.

A few suppliers have said that I should get rift and quartered to minimize expansion/contractions issues with the wide plank flooring. Some say to glue the hardwood floor down as well as nail, while others say the glue will create more problems then it solves - freezing the boards in place so they end up splitting when they try to move due to contraction/expansion.

I have been going back and forth between cork and hardwood. I have strip (2 1/4" wide) hardwood flooring in other parts of the house without noticeable problems -except on area where the boards have shrank directly over a heat duct. Any advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Comments (8)