SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rottieluvr16

House Plans in Hand and now the waiting

rottieluvr16
7 years ago

We started our journey a year ago with our architect and through 6 months of meetings and then waiting for him to finish, we received our final plans in February. Our plan from the start was to hopefully start building mid 2016. We may be close, but with the delays from builders getting back to us, we are hopefully looking at fall to start our build. The builder we chose, has worked with our designer before and has an established relationship with him, which helped us while picking them.

A couple of things about us and our build:

Family of 5 (DH, 2 Kids (10&13), Mom (73) and me + 1 dog

Property is near Tacoma, Washington. .39 acre sloped corner lot . House will face east on a dead end street with older homes. The treed lot to the west is vacant and will be land locked once we start building. To the north is a unpaved road, that dead ends to a green belt which sits above a community trail. We purchased March 2015.

We designed this house as our forever home. My mom with be moving in with us and will have the bedroom/bathroom on the main level and as DH and I grow older, we will then occupy that room. With the sloped lot, the designer moved the attached garage to be a rear entry since eventually we will also have a detached shop built.

We met with the builder back in March and he gave us his initial proposal per the completed plans from the designer. Talk about sticker shock. It was about 150k more than we are budgeting. We knew that some of the finishes that the designer included in the plans were a lot more extravagant than we wanted or needed, so we talked about areas we could save money. We will soon have our second meeting with the builder to go over these new numbers with the changes. Some of the things we will not be doing at first to save money is finishing the basement, detached shop, parking pads only, reducing kitchen cabinets, boxed in soffits with pine and corbels.

Currently, we are awaiting the storm water design from the engineer. If it doesn't come in by the end of the month, I'm thinking we will need to go with someone else. Our designer referred him for our project.

As we wait, I thought I would post our plans to see if there is anything I should keep in mind. I have been reading up on this forum and have found a lot of great advice.

Basement/Garage Floor plan

Main Floor Plan

Bedroom/Bath Floor Plan

Comments (19)