SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taylorjonl

Grafted or grown from acorn, Q. Rubra, Q. Macrocarpa or Q. Shumardii

I am looking to plant one of the above three trees. It will be about 8' from the sidewalk and around 25' from my house.

I live in Sandy Utah which is 6A. Although I haven't tested my soil according to http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app I am on the border of PaA and KfB soil, they are defined below:

PaA - Parleys Loam - Pale-Brown friable fine-textured loam or silt loam surface soil, upper subsoil is compact silty clay loam, lower subsoil is silty clay loam with white lime carbonate.

KfB - Kidman very fine sandy loam, silty clay loam substratum - very fine sandy loam, not much more to say.

I think my soil is more PaA because I had to dig a 4' deep hole and it wasn't sandy, it was very dense and compact. The common jar test has one layer, so no sand to be seen.

I started visiting my local nurseries, I found some Q. Rubra and Q. Macrocarpa. They were 15' or so tall and mostly in what appeared like small pots for their size. They were both also grafted. I spoke with the guy at the nursery and he said they are grafted because grown from acorns the size/shape varies too much. The Q. Rubra at the nursery was just barely starting to get leaves.

I didn't find the Q. Shumardii locally, I would probably have to buy that online.

So I have a few question.

1. Which of the three would you plant?
  2. Would you buy a grafted tree or find one that is grown from acorn?
  3. Does grafting have side effects, e.g. shorter lifespan, weaker trunk at the graft?
  4. Would you buy one that was grown in a pot or only get one that is B&B?
  5. Is it normal for Q. Rubra to get leaves this late or is it a sign of stress?

Comments (6)