SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

Q. alba loaded with acorns..it isn't my tree...would you?

hairmetal4ever
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

So on my drive to work each day, I drive by this gorgeous, mature white oak. It's really a perfect tree, this oak could be used in pictures of what a White Oak should look like. It has great form, is probably 100+ yrs old, usually has very good fall color (nice deep magenta to a good red depending on the year).

A few weeks ago, I drove by and it looked like the leaves had some whitish spots on them. But today I noticed - it's not that, the leaves are fine. What I was seeing (as I drove by at 40 mph) are acorns. TONS of them. This year seems to be a mast year for white oaks (Sugar Maple too, actually) in this area, and this tree is LOADED.

As you know I like growing trees from seed. I've never collected Q. alba acorns to grow myself, because I always seem to get there either a bit too late (squirrels got them all) or a bit too early. I could buy from Sheffield's, or Schumacher and have done so, but question is this:

Would you knock on a random person's door and ask them if you can take some acorns from their oak tree?

Comments (55)