SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blubird_gw

Spencer update and pet insurance

8 years ago

I've been lax about updating Spencer's health journey. Here is the link to the previous discussion. (Previous discussion about pet insurance.)

Spencer had been diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma in December. We decided to proceed with a course of 5 chemo sessions, 3 weeks apart. He had his last chemo treatment at the end of March and seems to be doing well.

He sailed through those chemo sessions with almost no issue. He had no stomach distress or diarrhea, and we were provided with methods to reduce that if necessary. He never lost his appetite (he's a lab!) and he was only subdued on the day of chemo. We had to drop him off in the morning and pick him up later in the day. One of his chemo drugs had to be administered over a 6 hour period.

His one issue was with his gums. Over the years he's had problems with a smelly mouth from his gums and he had been on antibiotics several times over the years, as well as regular dental exams and cleanings. Due to the nature of chemo, at about the 7-10 day mark after chemo, when the blood counts drop as expected, he had trouble again with his mouth. Subsequent chemo sessions we pre-treated Spencer with antibiotics in anticipation of a problem. He only had one more time with a more severe mouth problem, but again it cleared up with the scrip.

So now it's almost mid-May and he seems to be doing just fine. He's perky and active and eating and drinking. We still have our beloved lab.

Originally, it was suggested that we bring him back in after 2 months for an ultrasound and bloodwork, and we have a tentative appointment for next week. However, we had been advised that even if something should be found, there was nothing else to be done, so I'm thinking of canceling that appointment. Sometimes it's better not to know.

In reference to the earlier link, we are grateful we have pet insurance. This adventure has cost of $11,000, but because of insurance we're only out of pocket about $2000. I would hate to think that our choices would be limited by financial reality.

Comments (9)