SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rich_murray52

Should I move some succs outdoors for the summer?

Rich
8 years ago

HI all,

I know many (most?) succulents do better outdoors when possible, but I've never tried it. I'm worried about moving my plants that have always been indoors outside, and also about moving them back inside as temps cool again in the fall. I've also thought about getting some new ones, like maybe some basic jades, with the intention of putting them outside immediately, so I don't have to worry about risking my beloved indoor plants by sending them outside.

I'm specifically worried about bugs -- I don't want to bring creepy-crawlies back inside. Are there ways to prevent that?

I'm also worried about control of water. I live in North Carolina, where our summers tend to be hot and dry, with an occasional torrential thunderstorm, and then it may go days or weeks without any significant rain. I worry that my plants will drown in a thunderstorm, but I don't want to feel like every time it starts raining I need to run outside and bring them all in.

Any advice on whether it's worth it to try taking some tender succs outdoors for the summer would be appreciated, and if so, things I need to think about/keep in mind.

Thanks!

Rich

Comment (1)