SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicoleannette75

Need advice from people who understand Cotton Gin Trash/Cotton Bur!!

"Stormy" Gray
7 years ago

Hi, I live in zone 8a/8b and need to amend the hell strip in front of the front curb for knockouts. This area gets HOT. Will the high temperatures increase the risk my shrubs will burn from the cotton bur? Is the heat related to the nitrogen burn risk? I'm really confused because a well known nursery in my town says to plant with 50/50 cotton bur to original dirt. Some people even mix with 50/50 cotton bur/manure. But, I thought I would stay on the safe side and just stick with 50% cotton bur and my original soil. But, a yard man had a fit and said, "NO! COTTON BUR WILL BURN IT! YOU ONLY WANT A LITTLE!!" He said it was especially bad to put on clay. He wanted to put lime on the clay. And he also wanted peat moss. I don't know how knowledgeable he is. Originally, I was going to put on 3 inches of cotton bur; I shopped around and found a good deal from someone who could dump it off without the bags. But, this yard man acted like I was crazy. He said I need more soil and just a tiny amount of cotton bur. The local nurseries all recommended I use Cotton Bur and nothing else. I even brought up a small sample of my clay soil in a jar to show one nursery and they thought Cotton Bur was all I needed. But, they did warn me over and over to really mix it in or it would burn, which did scare me. I reasoned that since I was mixing it in with existing dirt and not just amending the hole each bush would go in, it would be plenty safe. But, now, I'm confused all over again!

Comments (4)