SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicoleannette75

Advice for planting in bushes in 100 degree heat!

"Stormy" Gray
7 years ago

Bushes and wax myrtles were already purchased and with many unexpected complications, I am now being forced to plant in the middle of summer! I know how bad this is and how the roots needed mild weather to establish. I don't know if they will make it or not but I want to try to do everything in my power.

I have several questions... When amending the soil, will cotton bur (1-0-1) or chicken manure (bagged) have too much nitrogen with the heat? I understand nitrogen increases growth, therefore water demands. And I plan to water a lot but will it raise the demands beyond what I can meet? This area gets baked by the sun. So, what ratio would you recommend? I've heard 1/3 soil; 1/3 manure; 1/3 compost is safe. Is this still safe with the heat?

My choices are:

I can either get bagged cotton bur or chicken manure and mix with compost (bagged Back to Nature) -or I can get aged horse manure/ wood chip compost mix from the farm. Or, I should I skip the wood chip compost (both of my compost sources have wood) and break up the clay with peat moss and cotton bur or manure? My soil tested as being slightly acid - around 6.5. And I also know that peat moss makes it more acid and adds no nutritional breakdown. But, it wouldn't be leaching my nitrogen like wood chips so under the circumstances, which amendment would you go with and what ratio would you recommend?

Thanks so much!

Comments (21)