SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emcat

Full gut kitchen - need floorplan help

E G
8 years ago

I need some major help with our kitchen!

Background: we live in a 1927 pier-and-beam cottage that we are renovating and adding onto. We have a lot of limitations due to lot size and restrictions. Our goal is to open up the house a bit (but not full open concept), Increase storage (throughout house and for kitchen). We have 3 young sons. My husband works a lot and isn't interested in cooking at all. It's usually exclusively me prepping, cooking, and cleaning. I like to cook but usually at this stage it's quick cooking/assembling more than heavy duty cooking. I do like to bake and my kids enjoy helping me with that. I am a pretty neat cook. I like to gather all my ingredients first so I'm not running around the kitchen much. We entertain casually with other couples and kids relatively often and extended large family a few times a year. I do hope to have more formal dinner parties eventually when my kids are older.

Things I want: separate walk in pantry, formal Butler's pantry for all entertaining pieces, eat in kitchen (we have separate formal dining room), natural light.

Ceilings are going to be 10'

We would like to minimize upper cabinets and will primarily do drawers below.

My husband wants some wooden beams across ceiling.

We are going to have a Lacanche stove which is sort of the "star of the show". my husband is sort of insisting the sink be under the triple widows overlooking the back patio. It's silly but symmetry appeals visually to us a lot too. The wall the stove is on would have 2 counter-to-ceiling upper cabinets at the far ends.

We have been working with an architect and come up with the pictures attached.

My concern is how spread out the range/fridge/sink are. We originally had an island in place of the farm table but I prefer the warmth of the table. I really don't like sitting at island height. I want us to be facing each other when we sit and eat. But...If there was an island we could put in a prep sink and that would help with the prep zone plus storage of course. Because we are still in early plans I haven't started designating what would be stored where yet except all food and dry goods will definitely be in pantry, as will a lot of small appliances. Mudroom which goes into kitchen is going to be family primary entrance. There is not and will not be a garage.

We absolutely cannot go out any further with side wall (stove) but back wall (sink) could move in or out by a few feet.

Thanks for any feedback!

Comments (17)