SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phopkins1757

5th leaf apples, NO fruit

phopkins1757
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I planted 3 Fuji and 3 Honeycrisp apple trees from a commercial nursery in this region (zone 7a) in 2012. They've done very well from a growth standpoint. They're vigorous and the tallest were over 12 feet when I did the spring pruning this year. A few of the Fuji's had a few flowers and now have set a few small fruit. The Honeycrisp had no flowers at all.

I'm surprised by this as everything I've read suggests that fruit production (one source: [url]http://www.starkbros.com/growing-guide/article/how-many-years/[/url]) should begin within 5 years after planting.

Am I doing something wrong or expecting too much?

I don't think I've been overly aggressive about pruning, following recommendations on this site and other sources. On the other hand, I'm new at this and there's no substitute for experience.

From year two and up until this spring, I've fertilized with 1 cup per tree of 10-10-10 per soil test recommendations. The orchard has a cover crop of Durana clover which has been vigorous until this year (year 5) and is starting to fade as expected. Last fall I planted rye grain which came up in patches where there was less clover.

This year, I've started working on organic certification and have used no non-OMRI approved chemicals. I've sprayed three times with neem oil (0.5%), EM, molasses, sea minerals, liquid fish, and liquid kelp. In the last spray I added BT which really controlled the caterpillar infestation that decimated my neighbor's trees. I still pulled a few dozen of them off, but they chewed the trees very, very little.

Should I decrease my pruning regimen? Perhaps I'm encouraging too much vigor.

Is there an organically approved soil amendment that can encourage fruit production? I've been really pleased with the way these trees have grown. I believe they're really healthy, but eventually I'd like to get some apples!

Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

Comments (7)