SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmg1717

DIY master plan - need help with windbreak design

jmg1717
8 years ago

After having no luck with landscape designers / architects, we have decided to create our own master plan for our yard. We did have help with the design and installation of a patio and surrounding planting beds, but now we are on our own.

I think we have some site issues that need to be addressed first, before I get too deep into the design details. We are in a new development, our house was built 4 years ago, and we back up to a large field. The bordering tree line is unfortunately all deciduous, so in the winter we have some pretty strong winds that come barreling across our back yard (it blows hard enough to make our siding and windows rattle). We are in central PA, so this isn't midwest-style cold and wind, but we do get down into the single digits for a few days each year, and the strong winds blow through several times a month. I think I need to focus on the location and type of a windbreak, before I plant anything in the rest of the yard that may die or be damaged next winter.

[1/2 acre lot, right-hand lot line is ~170']

As you can see in the above image, we also have a french drain running through our yard (direction of flow indicated). The french drain ends at our lot line, but it seems to continue draining fairly well through the neighbor's lot on the right. But the grass is definitely more lush and green along the whole french drain, so there is more moisture here.

I would prefer to keep the windbreak fairly narrow, to give us more usable space. I'm thinking one of the arborvitae varieties? But I don't want just a long row of arborvitae along the property line (all the kids run back and forth between the yards - I don't want to cut that off). So is it possible to plant something along the right hand side that would cut down the wind enough to protect all our other plants, but not be solid and not be enormous?

Thanks so much for any help!

A photo in winter for reference:

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996