SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnsfine

Trying to grow ferns

John Fine
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm trying to grow ferns, transplanted from elsewhere on my property on a steep sloop shaded about half the day. I tried transplanting clumps of ferns many times (over a few years) into this area and weeded and watered. Several of the clumps came back weaker each spring than the year before. The rest died more quickly. But elsewhere on my property similar ferns do well without help under a range of conditions.

First photo, one of the (then) best clumps two years ago, a year after it was transplanted.

Second photo is a clump I transplanted two days ago.

These are far more advanced than any of the ones transplanted in prior years (very few of those have started yet at all this year and those barely started).

They don't now look to me like the same variety of fern, though last year I thought they were.

What type(s) of fern are these? What can I do to encourage them where I want them.

Last summer, the strongest by a wide margin clump of ferns on my property was in a depression that since the prior fall had been filled and heaping mounded with packed wet leaves. I was amazed any plants could punch through that depth of debris, but then I guessed it must somehow help the ferns, so I left a couple inches of wet leaves over the winter where I want to encourage the ferns. That idea seems to have proven a failure. BTW, that strongest clump had slightly more water naturally and slightly less sun than the area I'm trying to encourage. The second strongest clump last summer was on the nearly vertical side of a giant pile of pine needles that had been there several years. That spot got very little water and nearly zero sun and has essentially no soil other than decomposed pine needles. I was worried that where I want ferns is too steep. But that spot was steeper.

Third best clump last summer and the one really fast early start this spring was that clump I just transplanted (looked a lot better before I transplanted it). It was under a gutter-less roof edge so it got 10 time more water each storm than other places. It got about half day sun there as the new location does. There was an inch of gravel with 2 inches of dirt below it and 2 more inches of gravel below that. The ferns pushed through the top inch of gravel, which was enough to block most plants. The roots did not appear to extend into the lower gravel. I picked off the top gravel stone by stone, slid a metal sheet as carefully as I could between the dirt and the lower gravel and moved the dirt and ferns to the new location. Then I covered with pine needles to keep the dirt from drying in the sun. (Under that transplanted dirt layer is a very loose mixture of leaves and dirt).

The range of conditions on my property in which ferns thrive is wide enough they don't seem to be picky about anything I understand. But they must be picky about something I don't understand.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions