SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
candogal_gw

Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!

candogal
9 years ago

This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns from spores. I purchased native spores from 2 different places on E-Bay/Etsy. I'm happy to say that both my Lady Fern and my Intermediate Wood Fern trays are growing prothallia! Yay! Nothing from the Ostrich Fern yet, but it's only been 6 weeks.

The directions I have say to thin them to 1 or 2 per 3 inch area, or they will grow only male organs. I'm trying to figure out a few things:

1) When do I thin them? Soon? Now? Honestly, the Lady Fern showed the first flush of prothallia 1-2 weeks ago, but we lost power for 3 days and I had bronchitis, so transplanting didn't happen. It was just a sprinkling then, though, and the prothallia have gotten bigger leaf-like parts, as well as come in thicker. They are still incredibly tiny, though so I'm dreading trying to figure out what 1 is. My directions say when they grow to 3/8," they develop male & female organs.

2) Is it possible to carefully transplant some of the prothallia to another container? I sewed my fern spores in one 1020 tray per type of spore, and I'd really like to get as many ferns as possible. If I just thin them in the tray, I won't end up with that many.

3) I'm hoping spraying with a splash of hydrogen peroxide in the water will take care of that unwanted fungus. Any tips?

I'm so excited! I've wanted to grow ferns from spores for years, and I'm delighted it's working. The two that are growing are from an Etsy seller about 60-90 minutes' drive from me, too, so my guess is they'll be quite happy in my garden once they get there.

Thanks. I'm also going to cross-post on the Ferns forum.

Comments (4)

Sponsored