SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caraline_neus

kitchen design suggestions

Caraline Neus
8 years ago

Getting closer to finalizing our kitchen layout, but it's evolved since the last time I posted and I want to get some feed back.

Couple of non-negotiables:

Dishwasher and sink stay where they are (floor is a concrete slab and don't want the added expense of moving plumbing)

Microwave stays above stove

Torn between installing echelon, timberlake, or ikea cabinetry with custom doors and drawers. Desperately wish Ikea would just make a WHITE shaker cabinet door because my life would be so much easier, but alas... Our need for white adds a minimum of an extra 3k to our cabinet total, but I just can't get with Ikea's off white color, or their ultramodern true white doors.

The island is going to be walnut butchers block from lumber liquidators more than likely, but haven't completely ruled out ikea's oak or beech stained. For the main counters, I've gone from wanting quartz, to wanting soapstone, to now considering honed granite. Love the idea of soapstone, just not sure if we need two finicky counter surfaces, and slightly put off by the price quotes I'm getting (more than 1k more than quartz).

There will be an overhang at the island for seating and a slight overhang on the penisula, maybe 6 inches? The purpose of this is to buy some extra counter space and potentially make a coffee bar area on the back corner of the counters, accessible from the dining nook.

This is going to be our forever house, so really would like to get this right on our first try, but our budget is limited, so have to pick and choose my battles. All suggestions (other than dont renovate) are welcome :)

Starting in the upper left corner, moving counterclockwise, the openings are as follows: large window, patio door out onto porch, opening into dining room (will actually go all the way to the wall), bathroom door, opening to living room/family room

Comments (13)