SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misscassandralee77

Tomato seedlings wilting/ dying. Cloudy weather to blame?

misscassandralee77
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello all! This is the first time in years that I have started tomatoes from seeds. I planted them 2 weeks ago in toilet paper tubes, and placed them on my warm radiator in a sunny window. They began to sprout in a week have have been doing well. I did have a bout with the fuzzy cotton-like mold between the cardboard rolls right around the time that the tomatoes began to sprout. I spaced them out more, misted the outside with diluted hydrogen peroxide, and turned on a small fan in the room and the problem was solved almost immediately (no signs of it on over a week). Here in NE PA, the temperature has dropped, and it has been cloudy for days. I went to work with healthy seedlings, and came home to sad, wilted leaves and drooping stems on most of my seedlings. I assumed it was the crappy weather and bought a florescent light for them. Was I correct? Can cloudy, rainy, chilly weather have this much effect on my indoor seedlings?

I should also mention that even those badly wilted ones in the back and the weaker of the 2 planted in the same pot were beautiful and healthy 2 days ago. The stems of these plants show no signs of damping off or any disease.

and these that follow are worse...

Comments (23)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH