SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
everythingirl1

Tomato wilt....WHY?????

everythingirl1
15 years ago

Last year, I started growing tomatoes for the first time in this home. I bought my plants from the store and planted them in a japanese tomato ring. Within days, one of the plants (marion) wilted and died. I removed it, threw it away and planted another marion. It wilted and died within a few days. I removed it, threw it away and then planted a VF variety that grew and did very well.

This year, I rotated my garden and planted 2 japanese tomato rings next to each other in a new spot. Lots of compost, egg shells and peat moss. Although I grew some plants from seed this time, they were not ready for the beginning of the planting season and again, I bought 8 plants at the store. This time I bought heirloom varieties- only 2 hybrids. Within 2 days of planting, the beefsteak wilted and died. I cut the plant in half and saw no brown tissue indicative of V of F wilt.

I went to a local nursery with an "expert" of 40+ years. He told me they were probably dying from some sort of blight and recommended I use Dithane-45 as a soil drench. Of course, since I have gone organic thus far, I was reluctant and did not use the dithane. Instead, I tried to be proactice by watering, spraying with fish emulsion every week or so and alternating organocide with neem oil every week. After all that, I still lost another beefsteak.

Today my German Queen Tomato plant is wilting and looks about to die. It is frustrating because one day the plant is full, green and verdant and the next day - poof - it's wilting and dying.

There are no yellow leaves. No black spots. Just beautiful, full plants that wilt from one day to the next although they are well fed and watered.

Can someone tell me if they know what is causing this, are there any organic controls, and if I do use Dithane-45- am I going to grow 3 legs from toxic exposure.

And also, am I just crazy to try to grow heirloom tomatoes organically in Central FL? Do I need to stick to the VFN varieties?

THANKS!!!!!

Comments (27)