SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruth_mi

Planning ahead for lawn reno

ruth_mi
8 years ago

I'm about 75% certain I'll do a reno later this year (too many different types of grass that grow unevenly and look a mess), but since life can get unexpectedly busy, I don't want to put myself in a position where the lawn looks so bad I absolutely have to. So I need some help planning for the reno and dealing with some current lawn issues and getting my soil in optimal shape.

1) Fertilizing - This is the fertilizing schedule morpheuspa recommended based on my soil test (and thanks again!):

April 15: (Optional) Apply 1 pound of Epsom salt per thousand square feet.

May 1: (Optional) Apply 2 pounds per thousand square feet of potassium

sulfate.

Memorial Day: Apply starter fertilizer at bag rate.

August 15: Apply starter fertilizer at bag rate.

September 15: Apply starter fertilizer at bag rate.

Since I'll have to kill the grass in late summer, should I amend the above or just skip the last one(s) that interfere with the reno?

2) My lawn is growing like crazy and is apparently very thick. The guy whose company cuts it is a friend of my son's. Dear son told me today that his friend said "we might have to fire your mom. :-) Her lawn's already the thickest lawn and growing the fastest. It stalled my new mower three times."

I put compost on the lawn in October and threw some seed down even though it was late and I planned to dormant seed. I thought it was late enough that not a lot would grow, but we all know how the fall turned out...warm. Then I dormant overseeded in January.

I thought that the grass seed wouldn't take in established areas, and I had a lot of bare spots. It doesn't look overly thick to me now, but based on the comments above, I guess it is. Is this going to cause problems? Anything I should do?

As far as the growth rate, in mid November, I put 8 bags of chopped leaves on the lawn. Also cleaned out the garage and put down just a little alfalfa meal and old dog food to get rid both. I winterized on 11/21 with slightly less N than recommended. I used milorganite to mix with my seed when I spread it in January, and a little more milorganite when I did my 4/15 Epsom salt treatment (again, just to make it easier to spread a relatively small amount.) Should my lawn be growing faster than most?

3) I've had in mind that I'd do my reno with a KBG blend, and saved some recommendations I was given last year. For a sunny Michigan lawn, is that a good choice?

4) Planned to do a organic app in the next week. Also, I saved the chopped leaves when I uncovered my hydrangeas a couple weeks ago, and plan to spread them on the lawn a little later. (Don't think I'd better push my luck with my lawn guy at the moment!). I assume both of these are OK, but what about additional pre-reno organic apps?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting