SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renormalize

Are flush-mounted, tile-in sinks prone to leaking?

renormalize
8 years ago

I'm planning a tiled plywood counter that will contain a sink. And I like the look of tile-in sinks where the sink edge is flush with the surrounding tile (see photo). Kohler (among others) makes tile-in sinks of cast iron and describes how to install them. They call for first using spots of silicone sealant at the sink corners to adhere it into the cutout in the counter backer-board underlayment, followed by tiling the backer board to within a small gap around the sink edge. Finally, the gap is filled with sealant to prevent leaks (see excerpt from Kohler installation diagram).

But I've been cautioned that vibration and thermal expansion differences between the sink and tile/mortar will always lead to eventual cracking and separation of the sealant in the gap, allowing water spilled on the tile countertop to leak down to the backer board and the plywood below. The recommended alternative is to install a conventional undermount sink with bullnose tile at the edges.

But what say the pros (and the amateurs!): if properly installed, is a flush-mounted, tile-in sink doomed to leak around the edges?

Comments (3)