SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
necro_azalea

Broken Tomato Stems. What should I do?

Aerilaya (8b-9a SouthTX)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Last night we had some terrible winds and it broke a lot of my 3ft tomato plants. Most of them had flowers growing so I am really bummed about it. I cut off a few of them because they were hanging by a thread, one was still connected all the way around, just torn up so I splinted him and left it there. I took one of the tops I cut off and put it in some water. What I'd like to know is will the stem I put in water grow new roots? If it will, what can I do to increase its chances? Should I amazon prime some rooting hormone or rush off to some store tomorrow to help it out? Right now I brought it inside because I remember vaguely reading that rooting plants should be taken to a darker area (aka my nice low heat room) It is extremely hot outside right now (south texas heat like 90F) and I saw that anything that had any kind of broken piece was now wilted to the point of almost being dry. The one I splinted a few hours ago isn't doing that well (it looks wilted on the top area and ends) but I am hoping it will pick up in the night. I also wanted to know, what will happen to all my tomatoes who have lost 1-1.5ft of their tops? Will stems shoot out from the sides and grow up that way? Will they be able to flower again after an adjustment period?

Comments (8)