SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
guest016548

Were my 40+ roses planted at the incorrect depth?

Larry (Los Angeles, 10a, Sunset Zone 19)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi all, last winter I planted some 40 rose bushes/trees. Most of these were container roses (mostly <1 yr old own root, some grafted). I planted these roses more or less the soil level of the original container they were in (just at the bud union or 1-2" above the soil surface). There seems to be a lot of debate among rosarians about this topic. Some suggest to bury the bud union no matter the climate, others suggest that it is only necessary in areas where winter temperatures regularly dip below freezing. My local rose society advises to keep the bud union above ground. The American Rose society does not definitively advise this but simply states, "moderate climates allow the bud union to be 1-2" above the soil surface". The ARS does not explain the benefits of doing this. Are there any benefits to doing this in my climate? I believe my climate can be described as moderate as there are really no seasons, and the temperatures mild on average, but my area does have a micro-climate that gets up to 60+ days of >90F weather.

It seems to me that one compelling reason to completely bury the bud union and the first few inches of the canes is to protect it from wind-rock as this can cause the root system to become unstable. Another is protection from very hot days and sunburn. I planted another rose bush and just a few days after that, a (rare) 50 mph wind gust basically shook it loose out of the ground and started to die back (I noticed too late). I'm sure this can be explained by other factors such as the plant being drip irrigated too close to the crown and it being watered same time as the wind storm. Nevertheless, I would prefer to take all means necessary to prevent this from happening to my other roses.

The only pro-argument I see for maintaining the graft/bud union above or at soil surface is nematode damage resistance (we don't have roundworms here, I believe), crown gall rot control (my main worry) and "if you want to achieve maximum bloom production and size" (but why is that true)?

So, my fellow rosarians, what would you advise? To bury or not to bury the bud union? Or re-position the bud union just at soil level? Won't most of the bud unions slightly bury themselves in the long-term because of erosion (especially as their fresh compost-amended planting holes decompose more and more)? Or should I stake the roses instead and simply wait for them to develop stronger anchor roots? Has anyone ever done this, any tips or techniques--is it worth doing or harmful to the bush, especially since they are all happy and productively blooming. Should I wait for the rose to enter dormancy before I attempt this project (though I'm not really sure they do in my climate)?

Apologies if the post was too rambling, any responses would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (13)