SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly

Disappointed with Mutabilis

Rosefolly
8 years ago

Not being a big fan of singles, and preferring roses with scent, I turned my nose up at Mutabilis for years. This is despite the fact that it is constantly recommended as the greatest thing for California gardens. A few years ago I saw a stunning example in a friend's garden in England, and I succumbed. I planted it by the porch steps in the new bed I set up about a year ago when I reduced the number of my roses.

However I am just not happy with this rose. Granted it is in half day sun (the only spot available), but it has a fair amount of powdery mildew along with a mild case of anthracnose, which will not bother me if it doesn't get worse. The growth is awkward, too, though that may be caused by the directional sun exposure. Honestly, I really just don't love this rose. Those of you who grow it and love it, have you had issues with PM that it later outgrew? I have had this happen -- Le Vesuve gets moderate PM at times but looks stunning at others, so I put up with it. This is a feature position, and I want something that looks amazing here.

Comments (41)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company