SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gibsongirl_gw

Your most disappointing plant purchase?

GibsonGirl
20 years ago

Is it okay to post a "what was your LEAST favorite" poll? :-) Just wondering which plant (or shrub or tree) was the one that disappointed you the most after purchase?

My biggest disappointment was Viburnum bodnantense 'Dawn'. You know how all those British gardening books rave about its "fragrant winter flowers", right? At one time I had a waterfront zone 7 garden and I actually was able to overwinter things like Eucalyptus perriniana outside, if they were sited in just the right place and if the winter wasn't really horrid. I even had Iris unguicularis give me TWO FLOWERS one February in a really protected spot. So I figured, hey, a winter-blooming viburnum should be no problem, right? And I believe it was either White Flower Farm or Wayside Gardens (forget which.. it was one of the overpriced glossies, before I got smart and started ordering from the smaller nurseries with more unusual plants and less overhead!) actually had 'Dawn' in their catalog, complete with fantastic in-bloom photo and the old "winter blooming" hype. So I ordered it. In the ten following years that I still lived in that house, 'Dawn' never had more than a half-dozen anemic-looking washed-out-pink flowers... in APRIL!!! April?? Since when is April "winter" (well, outside of the Snow Belt)? My heathers were over and done with by the time 'Dawn' even attempted to wake up. When I complained to the nursery a couple of years down the road, they responded by saying that "The flowering time for this shrub depends on your USDA Zone and it may not bloom during the colder months." Don't know if they are still selling it as a winter-flowering shrub but it sure didn't live up to its press releases!

Comments (17)

Sponsored