SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ricfoster89

New branches on orange tree appear triangular not rounded

ricfoster89
8 years ago

Hi,

A brief history of my orange tree.

A few years back i decided to try and grow an orange tree from a seed, not expecting to succeed. 3-ish years later i have a 2 foot orange tree indoors in a 7 inch diameter pot (6.5 inch high)

Over the years its done surprisingly well. A good amount of leaves. Ive not really done much to it other than feed it "when it felt right" and kept the soil moist/damp and allowed it to dry out from time to time.

However, this past winter seems to have taken a strain. Ive had a reasonable amount of leave drop, particularly some of the larger older leaves. Id estimate 15 - 20% with the majority of the leaf drop from the main centre branch. It appears new shoots/leaves are growing from where the old leaves have fallen so im not too concerned about that at the moment.

The thing that is concerning me most is that the 3 main shoots are growing in angular fashion, this is to say a squashed cylinder shape rather than a perfectly rounded branch.
Also some of the leaves are starting to show signs lightening in colour at the edge 10-20% of the leaves with the centres still remaining a deep green colour.

Can anyone suggest what issues i have, if any, and how to correct them.
My tree currently sits on my window next to a radiator which is has done for the past year (although radiator only on during winter)

Possible issues

-Air too dry/too hot?

-Lack of water?

-Over water?

-Lack of feed?

-Too much feed?

Any help welcomed, i only started growing this as a "what if" and now its become a little obsession, and i dont really want to do anything to kill it!!!

Cheers
Ric

Comments (9)