SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

A Very Few Good Roses in the Heat

It's been unseasonably hot the last week or so, with dry winds that have withered and fried quite a few of my roses, which already had that look of glamour that mildew, blackspot and rust (and sometimes a combination of all three) will give to a rose bush. Even the intrepid SdlM is looking sad. I thought I'd mention the very few roses that have distinguished themselves among the general mess.

Bishop's Castle - In spite of mildrew the blooms are opening and look beautiful, probably due to being shaded fairly early in the day. I love the deeper color among the lighter pinks of the surrounding roses and of course the fragrance.

Pink Rosette - In my garden this is not a spectacular rose, but the leaves and petals both have quite a bit of substance so the foliage looks healthy and the blooms stay good-looking longer than many.

The Faun - It's blooming a lot and the dainty, shiny foliage is almost disease-free, although I wish the color were actually pink instead of the less attractive tone leaning toward apricot. I blame my alkaline soil.

Madame Lambard - She's a young rose but in its second year has begun to bloom nicely and does not crisp right away in its less than optimal spot. A lovely and graceful rose own-root.

White Meidiland - The thick leaves are disease-free and thick rose petals stand up well to the heat. It's a sprawler, however.

Wild Edric - It has rust, which I abhor, and is spiny from head to toe due to its rugosa heritage, and the flowers are fleeting in the heat, but the large, fragrant and beautiful flowers make me want to keep it. I may change my mind when summer arrives.

Just a small handful, to be sure, but I thought this information may help someone who is contemplating new purchases or would like information about heat resistance.

The bottom line for my garden, however, seems to be that without adequate rain roses are more susceptible to disease and will slowly die back, especially in the areas that don't have afternoon shade.

Comments (4)