SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Repotting large 15yr old Pedilanthus macrocarpas

wantonamara Z8 CenTex
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Needless to sat , I have been putting this off for several years . Pot is big , soil is played out and the plant has been shrinking from its former glory. It is an amazingly deep rooted plant. Resilient to abuse. Matter of fact I have found root mass and sprouts originating in the bottom of the 20" deep pot. I guess in the wild it migrates deeper and deeper in rough soil to insure some moisture and cold resistance to the quick cold snap. I bet the root mass would go deeper if it could. I have had most top growth die in a cold front where I forgot it and it came back and it grew back. My kind of plant.

My thoughts are to take the root mass that was at the bottom of the pot and place it at the bottom of the new pot and then plant the stuff according to soil level on the plants. As you can see , that is DEEP. My other pot is a bit shallower, but it has more top width. It is still a deep pot.

It was in the dark green and it is going into the blue/lavendar pot. I am switching to pumice and expanded shale with some dirt. Maybe cactus soil. maybe some washed DG sand mixed with MG cactus soil.

Here is the root mass that I took off the bottom of the bottom of the pot, and more root mass in the pile above

here you can see how deep the root mass is on the stems that come off the roots. Interesting plant

Comments (9)