SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
becky_w_

Starting Again (again?)

Becky (NH 5b)
8 years ago

Okay, so I had a super long post which I got an error on just as I went to post it and now it's lost to the nether regions of the internet. Since it took an hour to craft, I now will have to try to do a shortened version.

When I was in my teens to about 21, I had lots of orchids that were very happy. As a result, I was happy. Then I moved to a half built house with almost no windows (in college = had to stay with my parents). Most of my orchids died. I have three left from that period: a phal, an oncidium (I think) and a catt. I sank into a deep orchid depression and did not get many orchids for many years. I only bought Phals, and didn't take care of any of my orchids well. Most of those orchids died as well to the point where I haven't gotten any orchids in over three years... that is until now. I live in a great apartment with lots of windows including three skylights. The skylights are eastern facing, and receive direct sunlight on one side from about 7am to 1pm. I have three orchids in the direct sun currently: my oncidium and two new acquisitions, a catt. (Ett. Hsian Yu Gold Coast 'Sunkiss') and a seedling vanda (Ren. citrina), Is this too much light for them? I've attached a picture to give you a better idea. On the opposite side, it is what I consider brightly shaded (my light meter disagrees, but I am hoping it's just because it's a cheap piece of poo). So far, I have a Bulb. lasciochilum. I've also attached a picture. Is this enough light?

I have four western windows, which start getting direct, dappled light from about 1pm til 5ish. Some is more dappled than others, due to some large cedars planted on this side of the building. On the brightest window, I have two phals and no orchids in the others. I'd like some low-light none phal suggestions for the others.

I have two east facing windows that get sunlight in varying degrees from 7am to 2pm. One is in the bathroom, in which my old Cattleya (cross unknown) now resides in a wood-slat basket. It's been in this basket for the better part of a decade and is now starting to 'crawl' out of it. I don't know what to do as far as re-potting goes as its roots are well attached to the wood. I have been adding fresh soil at times over the years... but now it seems it's time to do something container-wise. Any ideas?

The other eastern window is in my bedroom which also has a south/eastern skylight. I currently only have a large, healthy Phal in there that I just moved from the southern most western window that hardly gets any light. It's had two flower spikes since I moved 6 months ago that haven't grown. I'm hoping the light is better and kick starts them. I'd like to have an orchid on the wall opposite the window and about six feet from the skylight. This would be moderate to pure shade with little direct light. I was thinking of trying an Aerangis. Would any be able to thrive and bloom in this situation? Would anything else? I am looking for something temp-tolerant. It can get cold in the bedroom at night in the winter (think ~55-60F).

Finally, my new orchids, the Bulb, the Vanda and the Catt I got on the internet and have had about a week. I followed the initial instructions to water them the morning after I received them, despite still being wet. They are packed densely in sphag and have been quite wet the entire time. I don't think the roots look particularly good even since receiving them and I fear root rot. The initial care instructions said not to repot for a month, but I fear that may cause more harm than good. I have a piece of cork coming tomorrow for the Bulb. and have pots suitable for the other two along with more appropriate medium. Is it better/okay to disregard the instructions and get them out of that damp mess?

I am also interested in other low light (or high light that can go in the sunny-side of my sky lights) suggestions. I probably should stick to tolerant beginner and intermediate plants. I will be adding a humidifier next year, but my apartment gets low humidity during the winter. I also heat primarily with wood, so temps can vary 20+F in a single day (usually between a low of 60F and a high of 84F if the wood stove gets cranking). I have a back-up gas heater, so the temps should never drop below 56F on the really cold nights. I prefer not below 60F. Any non-phal. suggestions? The odder the better, as long as their blooms don't smell like carrion.

Thanks, and looks like it isn't any shorter. Below are pictures of my skylights. They open, so should be able to stay cool enough in the summer. I will also likely mount some small fans to keep the circulation. I can add thinks to diffuse the light if you all think it might be too strong.

Thanks again!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional