SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bkalgren

Help! New build, power line issue.

bkalgren
8 years ago

Hello! We are in a new build that needs trees. We are in St.Paul, MN - zone 4. The area we are planting is sandy dirt.

Problem is:

1) we know nothing about trees (I am in a state of analysis paralysis after tons of google research)

2) there is a very pesky power line at the back of our lot.

Our landscaper (who is doing the privacy screens and plants around our patio next month) recommended a couple, even a few river birch clump on that back corner of our lot to block out direct sight lines to that blue house and give us some privacy from the road, too (second picture below taken from the road). I like this idea, if they only get to 40ish feet. Would like your input. Is that way too risky? Is there something smaller that would be better and still provide a nice screen and boundry. Would it be weird to do one river birch clump (left) and one something smaller (right) to be safe? The oval pictures on top picture is where we would like trees. You'll notice we planted two (well, you can only see one) black hills spruce on the side of the lot - they will get big. I am not sure how tall the power lines are - maybe 35 feet? I want to be cautious, but I don't want like tiny, decorative trees back there (crab apple, lilac, arborvitae, etc).

The box in the bottom picture is where two silver maple trees (we think) are that are on our lot so that may help you see how much room we have to work with.

Suggestions appreciated.

Comments (10)