SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rick7072

Reflections on losing planted flower seeds to birds

Rick (zone 6b, MA)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Today I am one disappointed gardener. I planted an awful lot of flower seed outside on March 12 and have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for them to germinate. I've been surprised that I have very few seedlings that I'd recognize as not being a weed.

Then today I was talking with my neighbor who mentioned that he often saw birds poking and hopping and pecking in my various gardens (which had nothing going on in them other than the seed I planted).

So now, five weeks after planting, it's gradually dawning on me that I've probably lost most or all of the seed I planted to birds. Very sad. For most of the seed, I used the scatter technique and then raked the seeds in. I didn't think I left any on the surface.

I see various articles on the web about how to deal with this problem, suggesting a bird feeder, scarecrows, pie tins, fake snakes, etc.

But I still am left with the question: what predisposes birds to poke around in one garden and dig up seeds to eat, whereas I think this is not a problem most gardeners have?

Maybe if the birds see even one seed on the surface, it gets their minds and appetites going and then they start digging and poking and ultimately realize there's a goldmine down there.

Curious to know of others' experience with this.

Comments (5)