Bertolli Alfredo Sauce Spoiled a year ahead of expiration date.
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (23)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
How would you have handled this situation?
Comments (47)How would you have handled this situation? is a good question but can be tough to answer. Without being in the situation makes it more difficult to say. Would I physically confront them, slap them in cuffs, lynch them or the like, well no. But I'd *like* to think I would have spoken up then and there in some manner, whether I'd clear my throat, say WHAT THE??? or something. Guess it's a had to be there thing. And really, if for some reason I felt threatened in a store, I think I'd have been leaving the store before the incident anyway. Why would I stay where I don't feel safe? I certainly can shop stores where I feel safe. I don't judge what you did or didn't do with the exception of applauding that you did call later. It may have helped. Good for you. The reality is that there's a good chance that at least one of those jars went home with someone. Hopefully they used it right away since I doubt many people would pay any attention to whether it had a tight seal. I'm generally one here who says let's get the whole story, more facts or something before jumping to conclusions on a lot of things but on this one, I too cut them no slack. Theft is theft. Vandalism is vandalism. And their vandalism could affect other people. Most things in a grocery store are not guaranteed sale items meaning the store buys it and can't return it for credit so any broken jar, stolen jar or opened one that has to be written off is a cost to the store, which means a cost to every customer since those losses are simply passed on. I know these things go on in stores. What people do is often so disgusting. People open up boxes of things, switch them then seal it up and head to the checkouts. I always check the seals on jars and I check boxes and bags. I'll often open the top on a jar with inner seal to see it's intact. I also check that the eggs aren't cracked! And I generally make a wide path around those self-serve bulk bins where people are so often grazing! On a different note, what bugs me more is when people hide behind the lines like "You never know what they'll do" or "They might____". It's code for "I don't want to get involved" and that's why some criminals walk free, some thieves go unpunished, taxes go higher, insurance prices soar and other costs go up. I feel we often have a responsibility to stand up for what's right. If we witness something, do something, watch out for your neighbors' homes. The "everyone for themself" is long obsolete. Cops can't be everywhere. We have to be their eyes and ears. What each person can physically do of course varies. As far as the cameras, so what? Yeah they have cameras but are they really going to be expected to take security personnel, sit them down to watch video and try to find the incident? What are they supposed to do then? Launch a search for them? It's a petty theft so it's not worth the cost for the store to waste the time of doing this. The time to do something is when it's happening. Then all that really would be done is to ask them to leave. And casually telling a cashier on the way out is effectively worthless too. At least take the time to go to customer service. At that rate, even calling them later was a far better option than mentioning it to a cashier on the way out. A cashier is too busy to stop checking people out to go alert Customer Service, which is what they'd need to do and then hopefully they were able to get the info from you accurately, which could be questionable if they're concentrating on cashiering (or other things job or non-job related). Telling a cashier would be fine in a convenience store but not a mega store. It's been a long long time since I've shopped in a Walmart. Do they have any customer service call buttons or phones scattered as do some stores? That could be a possibility. I keep a digital notetaker in a case on my belt at all times. I take notes on it often, record phone calls, conversations etc since my memory is getting challenged more as I age. When I'm driving and remember I need to do something I don't have to fumble for pen and paper to make a note for later. You could have used this to get a description of the people, time, details etc. About 2 weeks ago I was at a target and just getting ready to leave when I saw a woman pull in to a parking space in the next row. It caught my eye because she was *so* far over instead of being centered in the lines. Then I saw the vehicle next to her sort of "shake". Obviously she hit it. She got out of her car and I was by then recording the vehicle description, her description and the 2 digits of the plate that I could see. She got back into her car, backed out and drove off. I decided I couldn't live with myself to let this go so I followed her but all she did was move down 2 rows and park way at the end. I got her full license number, better vehicle description and then debated what to do. Didn't want to wait so I decided to leave a note on the affected vehicle. When I got over there I couldn't see any damage. Where she had to have hit it had the side guards which apparently is what she hit. I even got out and took a close look and there was no damage so I let it go. But I felt good that I did what I did. I look at it this way, if I won't get involved, why should someone get involved if something happens to me? BTW, the lids on many jars have instructions to tell how to check the seal....See MoreSoliciting Opinions Re Family Gatherings!
Comments (50)I've read every response with interest, because I host a big family dinner (usually 16-20), one Sunday each month. We eat at tables, but a buffet is served from the kitchen. If someone can't be there because of work, vacation, etc, that's OK, but they mostly keep the day open. I contact everyone a week beforehand, tell them what I'm fixing, and ask what they'd like to bring. I'm usually asked to make suggestions, but if the suggestion isn't always followed, no big deal--no one's going to starve. Each one wants to know what the others are bringing, so if someone drops the ball, everyone knows. I'm the eldest of 5, and have 3 grown children. Neither the house I grew up in, nor my own house, has ever been spotless--no one expects to eat off the floor, but the monthly dinner is a good incentive to hit the high spots. When everyone gets quiet for the blessing, I first lay down the law, and as someone mentioned above--my house - my rules. Any time someone brings a guest, I take the opportunity to refresh everyone's memory. I put out a bowl for scraps, another for silverplate, and at this point in history, no one stacks an unscraped plate with his/her silver still resting on it. I load the DW while volunteers take down tables and chairs, then we older folk continue the visit in the LR, while the youngsters play games or take a stroll. My younger daughter is the favorite aunt/cousin, and usually takes charge of the little kids. This is my gift to my mother--having most/all of her children, grandchildren, and now great-GC, together every month. It took a while to get this routine set--it's still a lot of work for me, but I enjoy it so much. My only advice would be to let everyone know exactly what you expect--BEFORE they eat, so anyone who doesn't want to help clean up can leave immediately, lol. IMO, if you don't want to lift a finger after dinner, you shouldn't have to. Be strong, bigbaby! :) (Oh, I just want to mention this story: When my late husband and I started talking about building an addition to host our 'designated' holiday dinners, one of my sisters said, "I'll give you a thousand dollars, for construction, if you host ALL of the holiday gatherings." I said OK, she wrote a check, and we're all happy with the arrangement.)...See MorePlanning meals for a year
Comments (25)Grainlady, as always, I'm so impressed by all the information you have shared here. You have taught me a great deal over the years that I have been reading your posts, and I'm grateful that you take the time to share information with all of us. I am one of those persons who is frugal but not because I have to be, though that wasn't the case when I first started my "journey into frugality". It is, however, the reason I don't have to worry about money now. It is a way of life for me. Money is a resource and I do not believe in squandering it unnecessarily just because I have it. We all, however, have our priorities and I accept that some folks have different ones than I do. I sure wish you'd talk more about Food Saver vacuum jar lids. I'm not sure I understand how they work. As I understand it, there's a hole in the special jar lids that the vacuum pump snaps onto, to remove the air. And then the hole has some kind of baffle, I guess, to keep the vacuum? I have priced vacuum lids and they seem to be pretty expensive. Can you point me in the right direction and give some tips on this? I have a dehydrator and I want to make some of my own zucchini chips per your recommendation on another thread. Plus I'd like to try dehydrating cabbage because it doesn't can well unless it's made into sauerkraut, and it takes up a LOT of room in the freezer. I have been kind of afraid to store dehydrated foods in ziplock bags unless I freeze them, because of the bug infestation that caused me to lose several gallon bags of dried banana slices several years ago. I've been buying half-gallon sized jars that take a regular-sized canning jar lid at garage sales in preparation for dried food storage. I know that light is an issue so do you do something to combat that? Would covering the outside of the jar work, such as a coat of dark paint or a cloth cover with a drawstring around the neck or maybe a section of black leaf bag taped around it? Or do you just have a dark cabinet that you keep your dried food jars in? I never knew that about using citric acid in sprouting. I tried to sprout some mung beans and no matter how many times I rinsed, there was still that spoiled smell so that eventually I just gave up and put them in the compost. You use citric acid in your whole wheat bread recipe too. Do you have a good, reasonably priced source for citric acid? Once again, thanks for sharing with us. You have many fans and I am one. Keep up the good work and know there are many of us who are interested in what you have to say....See MoreHow much food do you keep on hand - and why.
Comments (59)How prepared are you for even a small "disaster"? If not, why not? I think one has to weigh the definition and potential disasters you could face together with the impact of them. I'm not a "prepper". I prefer to think I'm a "common senser". I just can't get myself to scare myself into laying in years upon years worth of dehydrated food, hundreds of rolls of toilet paper, and an arsenal of weapons to protect the toilet paper when the SHTF. That said, I'm also pragmatic and living in a northern state an occasional snow or ice storm is a very real possibility and then tack on some severe cold weather. Living in a city, the likelihood of getting so snowbound that we could not get out in an emergency isn't a top danger, but the reality is that a heavy storm makes it worthwhile to stay home in bad weather. My latter years of working enabled me to be able to adjust my schedule most of the time so I could stay home in bad weather and ride out the storm. I've always kept some food in the house for such a need, plus having it means I don't have to run to the store every couple days. I do not like shopping. I go to a store, get what I want and get out asap most of the time. I still comparison shop, etc, but I don't make a hobby out of shopping. I used to keep a fairly well-stocked pantry with canned and dry goods but with health issues that has expired. I am now using the freezer more as my food storage and try to keep a week or so covered with refrigerated and dry and freezer supplements it. It's not so much for emergencies but for convenience. And the convenience would pay off in an emergency. Especially during the winter, but even in the summer I try to keep some gas in the vehicle, at least 1/3 of a tank and I keep a couple 2 gallon cans of gas for the mower so that could be used if a need should arise. The second major impact or "disaster" if you so desire, is a power outage. During and following a big storm many years back my power was out for 7 or 8 days. Now that would have an impact on my preparedness but at the time, it really didn't too much. I used what I could from the frig and freezer right away but after a couple days I just went to a sandwich shop or deli and picked up the days food. Some meals were simple and basic, sausage, cheese, crackers, etc. The streets were made passable quite quickly. Water service was not interrupted. I used my vehicle to charge the computer and cell phone and as I recall the landline wasn't affected. I had a battery TV and radio for entertainment too and I used up my cache of batteries during this time period. I do keep battery lights and flashlights around. More than most. I don't lay in food supplies in fear of getting laid off or something as do some. For me, that comes under money management. And some people tout keeping cash handy in case of disaster but many if not most make the mistake of thinking everyone will have and will be willing to make change for them. I keep some money around and I keep small bills for tipping on deliveries, etc. Many also make the mistake of thinking they can buy anything in a disaster if they have cash. Many stores will close in a power outage, their fuel dispensers won't work and the registers won't work either. In the event of a chemical disaster or something and I can get out of town, I do have places planned where I could go for cover. I don't keep a "go bag" but grab a couple changes of clothes isn't a big deal. Meds are kept together and grab a couple other things, I could leave....See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
Related Stories

HOUSEKEEPINGHow to Clean Your Fridge, Inside and Out
Keep your refrigerator clean and fresh, while you gain storage space and lose those ‘UFOs’
Full Story





plllog