SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_30541066

Sandals with good support

User
8 years ago

We're headed to a family wedding in Arizona in June and we'll also be doing some sightseeing. The thought of wearing socks and sneakers in hot weather is already making me hot.

Can you recommend brands of sandals that will offer good support for walking? Thanks!

Comments (38)

• User
    8 years ago

I love Fitflops. They are extremely comfortable. I can wear them forever and I have bad feet. They usually have them at Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack, as well as online.

• sas95
    8 years ago

Keen sandals offer good support. Also Cobb Hill (I believe they are owned by New Balance, and use some of the sneaker technology in their shoes).

• Related Discussions

LindaC Goes From Boots to Sandals

Q

Comments (28)
    In deference to my lovely hostess and chauffeur, I posted the picture which made me appear to be in pain rather than the one in which Cathy looked like an old wicked witch and me look like a sweet happy young girl!..... ( now I am really in trouble! She's close enough that she could come and GET me!!!!)
    ...See More

New sandals

Q

Comments (6)
    I like the sandals but I dont think I can wear them they dont have much of a sole on them and I need something with more support and cushioning.
    ...See More

Dawgs sandals $12

Q

Comments (40)
    My daughter-in-law's size 8 sandals arrived, and the fit is perfect! I'm relieved. She's very happy with them. The purple color is pretty. I also like the Soft Lime that I ordered for myself. PS: I had told my 3-year-old grandson several days ago that a surprise was arriving for Mommy, and he was very excited to accompany me to the mailbox. I let him give her the package, and later he said to me, "I thought it would be something heavier." :-)
    ...See More

Buying Birkenstock sandals in Germany/Prague

Q

Comments (5)
    We used to order from a place in Germany and they were much cheaper, like maybe not quite half off. Germany carries a bigger size range then the US so I am jealous of you! The place we used to order from no longer ships to the US. I am guessing it is some sort of import/tariff issue. See if you find an internet retailer that ships to the US when you are there please. I just ordered some from the actual Birkenstock website. They have a huge selection. I think Birkies are priced the same everywhere so no benefit buying from one place over the other.
    ...See More
  • tibbrix
    8 years ago

Sandals are the worst for sightseeing in hot weather. Your feet will sweat anyway, and then they slide all over the place.

Get some good wool socks and good hiking shoes/boots.

• User
    8 years ago

Keen sandals + Thorlo socks= happy feet, happy human.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

"nie Deighnaugh

tibb, you clearly don't suffer with hot feet!"

I do, which is why I know feet sweat and slip around in sandals when hiking and why I wear wool socks and stable, enclosed shoes when hiking on trails in the summer.

Choose wool:

http://www.ems.com/ea-how-to-choose-summer-hiking-socks.html

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

IM w/ tib. For me, if choices were touring wearing sandals or staying home, I'd stay home and spare me the discomfort. Skechers don't offer much support but might be better than sandals.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I haven't worn Vionic brand personally yet, but everyone I know swears by them for the support. Zappos and Belk also carry them & would assume Nordstrom and others do too.

I have worn Olukai brand flip flops and love them for the footbed support.

• sushipup1
    8 years ago

Walking does not equal hiking. Boots and socks in Arizona in the summer? Only if you're a local working outside or a serious hiker. Touristy stuff? You're in and out of AC cars and buildings all the time.

• User
    8 years ago

Yes, I didn't think we were talking about hiking or I would not have recommended Fitflops -- definitely not for hiking!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

I have a pair of Vionics and they're okay once you get used to them, but it does take a while to toughen up the right spots on your feet.

Ecco also has sandals that have good support for either walking or hiking, and they have a suede-y insole, so no slipping and sliding. But they're definitely more outdoorsy looking than Vionics are.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

i love teva sandals... they're very comfortable! even teva mush flipflops mold so much to your foot that they provide a decent amount of support...

look at the nike free or flyknit sneakers if you want a comfortable sneaker that you can wear without socks (i prefer them without socks at least!!) they're very lightwt and more supportive than many sandals...

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Oh, man, my mistake! Somehow my brain turned "sightseeing" into hiking!

Disregard my comments.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

Teva mush flipflops are the best! I prefer the wedge which I think are more comfortable for my feet and calves. All spring/summer/fall this is my go-to shoe for ordinary walking.

I bought some Ecco sandals (velcro straps) for my last trip to Israel. I wanted open shoes that could get wet, but still have support. Maybe I just don't have them adjusted correctly, but even when I walk on flat surfaces, my foot can slip. I just can't trust them anymore.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    8 years ago

Sandals with good support, and shock absorbing....Mephisto, Dansko, Taryn Rose. I have to have good footwear or will have an instant backache.

My 6'8" BIL tried to pack lightly for 6 weeks in Croatia two years ago, his shoes can be a problem space wise. He came home with plantar faciitis. At his first visit to PT the therapist asked, were you wearing (after being told he had just returned from a trip) Tevas or flipflops? Answer was Tevas.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

We went to Cambodia in July where it was hot and humid and we walked a lot. Dansko sandals with leather footbeds were excellent. I also find Think! sandals very comfortable with good support.

• Moonshadow
    8 years ago

Ecco "Yucatan". Can't go wrong with those. I have a bad back and if I don't wear a good shoe/sandal my back & feet start to hurt really fast. I can go all day in my Yucatans. They have great arch support. Wish I could wear them in winter! ;)

• jb1586
    8 years ago

Timely subject. I have terrible feet, can't walk very far in sandals without pain. After researching online (Barkingdogshoes.com is a good resource), I purchased Dansko Kami Sandals and wore them this weekend when we were away. I walked in them for miles, without pain. They aren't bad looking, have a great arch, and are really comfortable. I just ordered another color, as a matter of fact!

• amj0517
    8 years ago

I love my vionic flip flops. I wear them all summer. If you go that route, be sure to take time to break them in first. I brought a new pair on spring break and couldn't wear them very much. I stuck with my pair from last year.

• deegw
    8 years ago

Earth sandals have a comfortable foot bed with good arch support. And they have a few choices that are a little more stylish than the tire tread sandals.

http://www.zappos.com/earth-women-sandals~1

• ladypat1
    8 years ago

Vionics work for me, had plantar faciitis from flat flip flops, so need the arch support. But I wish I could find some fun ones, ya know. rhinestones etc.

• hhireno
    8 years ago

I wear Naot sandals, with arch support, for touring-walking. LadyPat, they have many styles, including metallic colors and some with bling.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

I live in Fitflops. My selection is large with pewter, bronze , black, some with sparkles and some with faux gem stones. I have walked all over Europe several times in them. I have even done moderate hiking.

• cattyles
    8 years ago

Wow, Earth sandals have come a long way, baby! :-)

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

I also like NAOTs but if I am going to be walking all day, it's fitflops! I can wear them longer than some of my sneakers. I thought I had a good selection until I read Justterrilynn's post haha. I have silver sparkle, bronze and black... all the thong style.

I have also done light hiking in them but i think they are best for walking on paved surfaces. They do have great support underneath and around the foot... and I really don't have an issue with them getting hot, sweaty or slipping around.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

And, they have nifty interiors and great cushion. They are particularly good on cobblestone streets. You just bounce along ^^^^Fitflops...

• lolauren
    8 years ago

FYI -- Costco recently started selling Fitflops ..... I guess I need to order some now to try out :)

• User
    8 years ago

Thanks lolauren - I didn't realize that -- will have to make a Costco run!

• rosesstink
    8 years ago

I have a pair of Tevas I bought for canoeing. I wouldn't recommend them for a lot of walking. I like my Keen sandals for walking because I like having my toes covered/protected. If I'm going to be doing a lot of walking I'm going to wear shoes (with socks) though no matter how hot it is. I made the mistake of wearing an old pair of Keen shoes for a five hour walk in Central Park recently. Time to replace those babies! Even good shoes wear out.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    8 years ago

Also consult Podiatry Shoe Review blogspot. Done by a podiatrist in Arizona. Gives suggestions for all kinds of foot problems. My podiatrist, as well as the author of the blog, says that your shoes should bend ONLY at the toe.

When I went in wearing Sketchers Go Walks, he said I should burn them!

• localeater
    8 years ago

I swear by Abeo sandals. I bought a brand new pair for a trip to Universal Studios in Orlando and had no problem with them. I specifically bought Abeo H20 so they could get wet on the water rides and still be comfortable. They were amazing for that trip and I have since bought several additional pairs. In fact, I am on a trip to SW Utah right now and have a pair with me for everything but hiking.

• no_green_thumb
    8 years ago

There are some good recommendations here. What I would recommend is that you go to a good shoe and have them properly fitted.

I have been suffering from severe Plantar Fasciitis for the past 6 months. After seeing a massage therapist, podiatrist and physical therapist, I am finally getting some relief. In both the physical therapist and podiatrist's offices, they had a display of Vionics. I almost bought them, but was concerned as neither place seemed to know much about them.

I went to a local shoe store that carries only the great brands, many of which were talked about above. The sales woman knew what she was talking about. I tried on the Vionics flip flops and hated them. I bought another style of Vionics as well as a pair of Naot's, a pair of Olukai and a pair of another brand I can't remember now. It turns out, I was wearing shoes a size too small. I tried on many, many different shoes and this woman analyzed each pair on my feet. Best thing I ever did, expensive but worth it. What works for one person might not work for someone else and if they don't fit properly, it' s even worse Take the time to be fitted properly. You won't regret it. Good luck!!!

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all so much! I just googled "walking sandals" and the name of my town and several "walking" stores popped up....all within 20 minutes. Who knew? I've gone to running stores for walking sneakers but had no idea shoe stores for walking existed.....gosh, I need to get out more! Looks like they all take time to fit you, etc.. I know I'll find something....thanks again!

• jill302
    8 years ago

Wore Merrell sandals on our trip through Europe last summer. My feet were very happy the entire 3 weeks, went back and forth between the sandals and Nikes. I have a difficult time finding comfortable shoes, bought another pair of the Merrells in a different color as soon as I got back home.

• K Sissy
    7 years ago

Easy Spirit makes some comfortable sandals. They come in wide also.

• Bonnie
    7 years ago

I swear by Merrill Agave sandals. I have them in black and have worn them on many vacations that involved sightseeing and extensive walking. They look nice with pants, capris, casual dresses/skirts. They are not clunky but yet have extensive support.

http://www.agavesandals.com/

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

I love my keens for walking up streams, which I actually have to do sometimes for work. But my feet get sweaty with the rubber foot beds. Whatever you choose, go for leather or suede footbed. Suede feels best to me in the summer.

• DYH
    7 years ago

The ones that didn't work for me:

FitFlop - didn't fit my high arches.

Vionic -- I gave away.

Olukai - were too heavy and made my toes cramp and calves ache

The ones that work:

Munro America 'Zena' - I have the blue and the tan. Comfortable, stylish, and I can walk miles without any pain. (I have a bone spur in my left hip)

Dansko - i have a pair that I've worn for two years, but it's discontinued. It's a platform, but not high. Extremely comfortable. Stylish for a comfort sandal. Mine has narrow straps, not the wide ones, and it has a back strap to hold my foot in.