SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste_gw

How goofy would it be to put a light on only one side of vanity mirror

needinfo1
8 years ago

I've got a dilemma in a
very small basement bath (7.5 foot ceiling) we are re-doing. I have max about 6" from the side of the
vanity to the corner wall, or else I can shove it all the way in the corner and free up some other floor space.

I plan to use this Ikea Hemnes set as shown in the
photos (except the vanity I will be using is 8" narrower than the ones pictured here). The upper mirrored cabinet in this set is 38.5" high. I really need the storage space so plan to buy this rather than just putting up a plain mirror.

Can I put a sconce light fixture on just one side of the wall cabinet? Even if I move the vanity out 6" from the corner wall, I
just don't think there is enough room to mount a light on the side that is in the
corner.

In this photo the cabinet is shoved in the corner, and it has the wall medicine cabinet I intend to use. It looks as though there may be some lighting on top.

Clean & Modern Bathroom with a Hint of Country · More Info

In this photo the vanity closest to the corner is out about as far as I could move mine out. Is it better to move it out a bit from the corner as shown in this photo, or am I okay with it shoved in the corner as in the other photos? It doesn't look like there is room in that left hand corner for a light. They have lights above the upper wall cabinets. I suspect these lights are too high.

Two-Storey Brick Addition · More Info

In this example they have a different medicine cabinet than I plan to use. They also have the vanity cabinet shoved in the corner. As I said, I can shove mine in the corner or maybe, maybe move it out from the corner 6" . Here again the lights are mounted above the upper wall cabinet

Ballard Bathroom Remodel · More Info

So, I don't know what to do. As I see it my choices are lights above the upper cabinet which probably means placing them too high, no special lights by the vanity sink, or mounting a light on only one side of the mirrored cabinet. What do you think? I should add in that the primary user of this bathroom will be my husband. So, basic shaving only.

Thanks.

Comments (24)