SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcustode

Trying to brighten up my dark and open kitchen.

dcustode
8 years ago

Hi all,

This is my current kitchen. Yuck!

We bought the house last summer and immediately painted all of the walls, crown moulding, and chair rail BM Cloud White so it's a tiny bit brighter than this picture, but not much. It's an open floor plan but does not get any real direct light because of the large front and back covered porches so feels really dark.

We're doing a complete remodel with Ikea boxes and custom wood shaker doors and I'm struggling with a paint color for the cabinets. I love the greige look with some sort of marble looking quartz and white subway backsplash but gosh, it's hard to find a greige that will provide enough contrast with the white but not be too dark. I've been looking at Revere Pewter here but there is such a difference between pics. Some places it looks super dark and others not at all.

I've painted some 8x11 poster board of Revere Pewter, Balboa Mist, Cumulous Cloud, and Apparition and I just keep vacillating between the super light Balboa Mist and the other darker grieges. And putting the boards anywhere near the current dark cabinets makes it impossible to really judge.

Any advice on a warm gray from BM that will brighten up this dark space but provide enough contrast with a marble type quartz?

Comments (23)