SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steffen63lattitude

Lets give it another try

Steffen Sweden
8 years ago

I have always been attracted to plants and what they do to make me feel good in my home. I have especialy tried my hands at bonsaiĀ“s and other trees that in a sense bring the outdoors into my home.

I have failed miserably at my attempts over and over, casting the shriveled up dried out and sick plants - swearing not to return to my hobby ever again.

Well, IĀ“m back again for a new beating.
I have been lurching around the forum and probably learning more about things the past week than I have in my entire life.
I have spent alot of time learning about soil mixes and fertilizers. I see where I have done huge misstakes.

I think I also may have gotten Adenium-fever. I have to try and grow some. I ordered a few seeds and am starting to get myself set up.

Here comes the tricky part. I live way up north - actually not far from the arctic circle - lattitude 63. That realy sucks when you want daylight in the winter months.

However - On the upside we get alot of sun in daylight in the summer. When its winter we often have little clouds and get a fair share of the suns rays, even if they are weak. I will probably have to get myself some lighting to supplement this issue. No need to worry though, its April and summer will be here in about 2 months. Next winter be knocking on the door in 5 months:)

IĀ“ll post my Adeniums as they start hatching.

Oh, BTW. Could someone give me a tip on how to think about my soil mix. IĀ“ve read alot about AlĀ“s 5-1-1 and the gritty mix. The thing is that I have no experience with Adeniums and in my climate we have very low humidity in the winter months.
Would Adeniums thrive better in 5-1-1 or the pure gritty in my dry indoor climate. Indoors we have a nice 20C climate - but very dry air.
Also I have natural Sphagnum peat growing everywhere around me. I have an entire river running near my house filled with perfect sized granite pebbles. Bark, turface, Perlite - I can get it all around here. Well balanced fertilizers will however be a slight problem.

How would you guys put together a well balanced soil for Adeniums if you lived lattitude 63?
(HaHa I feel like IĀ“m setting myself up for a new magnificant failure). You donĀ“t know until you tried, right?

Steff

Comments (9)