SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smalloldhouse_gw

Tall tree/shrub recommendation for container on patio in Zone 7

smalloldhouse_gw
8 years ago

I'm looking for recommendations for a shrub or tree for screening purposes in Zone 7 (just north of Washington DC.) The hope is to screen a section of a concrete patio on one side of our house, which has a horrible concrete block retaining wall that is about 4ft tall in this spot. The only saving grace has been that the wall was covered in ivy and there was a tree on the property next door.

Unfortunately the neighbors next door cut down the tree and pulled out the ivy (the capstone to a 2yr long teardown/construction process) and so now my kitchen window faces a view that resembles a prison yard, with the added thrill of the neighbor's electrical panel. I want to cover the wall while additionally providing a modicum of privacy from the neighboring house. I've got a similar problem in the front of the house, but at least there I can make use of a planting bed between the retaining wall and the driveway.

Some color would be nice, but I prefer something that might survive year round so I'm guessing that I'll have to go with some kind of conifer. If anyone can recommend something more creative than arborvitae, I'd be grateful!

Comment