SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celia_jean

Kitty litter smell in our bedroom - with no cat

Celia Lin
8 years ago

The bedroom of our 1912 bungalow smells like kitty litter. Not cat pee or poo, but litter. It's kind of chalky and sour smelling. It's most pronounced at wall, not by the floor. Doesn't smell moldy.

I think it has something to do with the partial lean-to type shed outside, it's against the east side of the bedroom. That's the stinkest part. It could be trapping moisture or blocking air flow? Moldy?

The inside of the shed doesn't smell. The shake siding is dry, no mold that I can see, but I know it could be hidden. The roof of the shed is full of moss and ferns, maybe that's it? It butts up close to a bedroom window.

Within a few months we will tear down the shed. Until then, any suggestions to make it smell better?

There is a little bit of mildew on the window sill and trim on the stinky wall. But would that smell like litter?

Opening windows helps a little. It is pretty bad in my opinion, it keeps me and my toddler up at night. It makes my throat tickle. My husband can't smell it at all. I have a sharp nose ;)

We stripped off panaling and wallpaper, so the original plaster is showing. Soon enough we will paint the walls. The plaster is intact, no cracks or anything. Old plaster dust or paint making the smell, perhaps, or a massive airing-out since removing the wallpaper and panaling? Maybe plaster and kitty litter share ingredients....

We removed carpet and scraped/heat gunned off stuck on linoleum and refinished the original Doug fir floors, using a water based Bona seal & finish. It was pretty stinky when we were refinishing it.

I just hope it's not terribly toxic.

Comment (1)