SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aprilneverends

Fireplace code for California? Are ceramic logs plus glass doors ok?

aprilneverends
8 years ago

Hi everybody,

we currently have a gas insert in our new place we're remodeling. It works great, but is totally wrong for the house in terms of style. After long consideration, we've decided to take it out. A new insert is not in the budget for now. We want to put ceramic logs and glass doors, and then live and see whether we're willing to get another insert or not. We'll need to pass an inspection, since it's a general remodel. I know people have setup like this in their home, including our old place(right now two fireplaces we've got are this setup exactly.. Logs plus glass doors. But it was built in nineties, so maybe the code have changed since then?..)

When we asked several fireplace stores whether it will be permitted, they somehow were vague: "yeah..it should.." but they didn't know the code themselves. And our contractors thought it should be fine too, but preferred we'd ask fireplace stores..:)

I found the building code regarding the fireplaces in CA online, and was trying to find out what it says, but it's mostly masonry requirements there, I could see nothing about logs plus glass doors combo. Maybe someone knows where I can get exact information about this? Thank you in advance!

Comments (2)