SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kercove

Looking for curb appeal

kercove
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My husband and I are embarking on a fairly substantial remodel of our 1950 ranch in the Boston area. One of my wishes is to make sure the house is charming from the outside, and has strong New England vibes to fit in with the surrounding area.

We have a pretty solid direction for the volume of the addition (adding dormers to the front and back of our walkup attic), but I would love some suggestions on how to address the details. We are on a pretty tight budget, but as I choose things like siding and trim details, I want to make sure the final look is cohesive.

Does anyone have any thoughts? We are leaning toward Hardie for siding, possibly a mixture of clapboard and shingled. I'm not sure whether the roof should continue in front of the large gable, or if the face should continue top to bottom. In the rendering, the sidelight will be eliminated and we will stick with the location and size of our current door. Also, I would like to have a curved ceiling to the portico, and may put our house number under there against the house. Not sure if we should keep any shutters on the left windows...if we do, I would make them look functional, but could save some money if they don't add anything.

Thank you!

Existing Front:

Proposed Front:

Comment (1)