SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Roman shade: Tucked or flat?

IdaClaire
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My designer has Robert Allen fabric samples on order for me, and has sent me photos of the samples so I can get an idea of what direction she's going. I really like what she's pulled together: We're thinking of a plain ivory-colored shade with contrasting banding along the edges (the color of the banding will probably be taken from the green/blue "spa" colors in the mosaic tile). I want something simple and classic, and I think a banded shade is going to fit the bill. She says either a flat shade or a rear tucked shade would work nicely, but I'm not sure which direction to go. I'm a bit worried that the flat will be a little boring when pulled all the way down. Anyway, here's the window - the glass block to the left - that will be covered with a cordless Roman shade:

And here are my style choices (pay no attention to these fabrics - these pics represent the style only):

Flat:

Rear tucked:

Any thoughts on which would be the better style choice? I'm wondering if the rear tucked would sort of mimic the look of the closed shutters on the other window in this space.

Comments (25)

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Wow, didn't know that I've been operating under wrong assumptions! Always assumed that tucked is the cheaper version.

So, I'd go for a flat Roman shade with the banding Simple, classic.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks! I really don't know anything about cost yet. The designer just wants me to decide between the flat and the tucked and then she'll price things out. I can't imagine there would be a vast difference in price between tucked and flat, and at this stage I'm just trying to decide what will look better since I'll probably be living with this thing for quite some time to come.

• shadylady2u
    8 years ago

Not sure why you thought tucked would be cheaper since it's more work.

Since it's banded, I think flat would be better. I add a permanent fold near the bottom, which adds more interest and not look like a flat sheet when lowered.

• DYH
    8 years ago

I like the flat, but it may be because of the border banding rather than the construction of the shade. And, you are going with a band.

Do you think you'll be raising it often? I can imagine what you mean -- that the flat may look boring when fully lowered. In that case--I'd go with the rear tucked.

• User
    8 years ago

love the rear tucked, more elegant looking, I have never seen it done that way. The other one is very common looking, seen it a million times.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm sure I'll be raising and lowering the shade daily, so want it to look pleasing up or down. Here are a couple examples of banded tucked shades.

And just to throw something new into the mix, this one is hobbled. Not sure I want the fullness of fabric that this will create though.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

I guess because I don't really know what tucked involves. The look just reminds me of the inexpensive read-made Roam shades with the little rod thingies inside.

• amck2
    8 years ago

I like tucked. Like you mentioned, they do go with the shutters.

Hobbled looks LR to me, but maybe that's because I have them in my LR ;) Seems like too much fabric for a bathroom.

I am not against the banded flats, but would choose tucked.

Will yours be inside mount?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

With the banding on the sides, I'd go for the simpler flat shade.

Don't know what fabric you're getting, but for me, I'd look for a shade with even more softness like a cloud shade.

• tinam61
    8 years ago

I like the flat shade myself. I like the way the folds look.

• User
    8 years ago

I also like the flat shade best.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I like the flat. It is so classic and easy to deal with. Glad you decided on the banded fabric too. I think you will be happy with it.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, my shade will be inside mount. After leaning towards the tucked (and my designer tells me it will be elegant and timeless), now I'm leaning back towards the flat a bit. I don't want it to look like I tried to make it look like the shutter, ya know? Oh, this is not as easy a decision as I thought it would be!

Annie, when you say cloud shade, what do you mean? Something with more drape and ballooning to it? I've heard those need a lot of fiddling with if they are raised and lowered often.

Still pondering ...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

It looks like some would call it a balloon, but balloon shades to me are more rigid, with defined pleats and clearly shaped bottoms like this one:

kitchen inspiration set 2 · More Info

A cloud is softer and less rigid, and the "balloon" part actually bunches and stacks on itself for a different look. Even when lowered completely, there remain some stacked soft pleats...more like this one (sorry it's not the best pic)

I made cloud shades for the bedroom in my old house. I did the top with pencil pleats. In this pic, they were drawn all the way up to the top to be like a valance. When lowered, they retained some of the bunching at the bottom. I raised and lowered them daily without any issues.

• chickadee2_gw
    8 years ago

Are you going to have to step in and out of the tub to raise and lower the shades? I don't think I'd like to do that on a regular basis.

• User
    8 years ago

I like the flat shade with banding best for your application. The window itself is already highly decorative glass block, and I wouldn't think you'd want either hobbles or pleats as the window doesn't need any more "interest." I like the flat example but assume from your post the banding on your shade would be a solid color instead of the Greek key design.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Do you need a shade at all? I do like the look of the glass block as is...or maybe stencil a border around the outside edge...like a greek key....

• busybee3
    8 years ago

i prefer the tucked over the flat...

• amck2
    8 years ago

Regarding the banding, this is a pic of my guestroom cordless flat shade pulled down. It has the contrast band set in from the outer edge. Just another option to consider.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Annie - thanks so much for those photos. That's a very pretty style, but a little too "fluffy" (for lack of a better word!) for the look I'm after. I really prefer something sleek and simple on the window. And yes, I definitely need a shade. In another thread, I explained how a little experiment after dark revealed that the glass block is much more, well, revealing than previously thought.

I don't mind stepping into the tub to raise and lower the shade. I step in there every day to hang up my towel, and it's no biggie.

The banding will likely be solid, although a few of the fabric samples that I'll be receiving have a tiny print design. Will just have to see what looks best once those samples arrive - and I'm hoping that'll be any day now.

amck2 - is that not a tucked shade? It doesn't look like a flat shade to me, but definitely looks like it's tucked. I like that a lot.

I'm still massively undecided between flat and tucked. I agree that the glass block is highly decorative, but it's not going to be seen when the shade is pulled all the way down. If I went with a tucked shade, I'm not sure it would look that much different from a flat shade when pulled up - or even partially up. It's mostly in the "completely closed" position that I think it's going to matter most. And I remain torn. ::sigh::

• amck2
    8 years ago

Yes, mine are tucked. They are a customized version of Country Curtains' basic Roman shade style. I considered it flat - seems so compared to my hobbled ones. But I was mistaken. Didn't mean to add more confusion :-0

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No worries! I'm glad to have seen your photo. I really do like the tucked - that little extra detail adds a lot, but not too much. I'm having the designer price both the flat and the tucked to see how they compare, labor-wise. I still don't have a good idea of what to expect to pay for this.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

Flat.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thought I'd share pics (from the Robert Allen website) of the color selections I'm going to choose from.

For the shade itself, a choice between:

1. Garlyn - Cream

2. Garlyn - Ivory

3, Garlyn - Snow

And here are the choices of banding fabrics (in no particular order):

1. Dainty Stitch - Sea

2. Grand Chenille - Rain

3. Royal Chenille - Periwinkle

4. Marble Arch - Water

5. Maze Trap - Sea

6. Fullerton - Patina

7. Color Grids - Water