SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
springrosemama

Blackspot on Earthkind Rose in Texas

springrosemama
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum. I've been growing roses on and off since 2009. I say "off" because in 2012 we moved to a new house and then proceeded to have 2 kids! I use only organic gardening methods. Right now I have 8 rose bushes in my yard, all planted last September, and 6 of them are Earthkind. Of those 6, just one, the polyantha Marie Daly, is currently riddled with blackspot. I haven't been able to address it much since I sprained my toe 2 weeks ago and have a 5-month-old as well whom I carry around just about everywhere! Anyway, from what I've read on this forum, black spot thrives in an acidic environment, and drought-tolerant roses prefer alkaline. I have not had my soil tested, but I'm pretty sure Marie's is acidic because she lives right next door to a gardenia that came with the house. She is planted in full morning sun, dappled afternoon sun, and is otherwise vigorous and thriving. Can I expect this plant to be clean here in southeast Texas? What would you recommend to address this? I'm still very new at roses and greatly admire the work I have seen from members here. Thanks!

Comments (34)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider