SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

EarthKind in Texas; All Stars in California

rosefolly
12 years ago

Jackie wondered if California had an equivalent program to Texas's EarthKind program for roses. I'm posting the reply here for greater visibility.

While California does not participate in the EarthKind program, and does not have a rose-specific program, UC Davis does have a program called the Arboretum All Stars. To quote from their website:

"The horticultural staff of the UC Davis Arboretum have identified 100 tough, reliable plants that have been tested in the Arboretum, are easy to grow, don't need a lot of water, have few problems with pests or diseases, and have outstanding qualities in the garden. Many of them are California native plants and support native birds and insects. Most All-Star plants can be successfully planted and grown throughout California."

Four roses have been included in the 100 plants. They are Iceberg, Mutabilis, Perle d'Or, and Pink Gruss an Aachen.

UC Davis is hosting a Rose Day on May 5th. It seems to be centered around their All American Test Garden. I won't be there since I am busy that day. UC Davis does have one of the few (two?) rose virus indexing programs in the United States. Given that California is a center of the rose breeding and rose growing industry, I think the focus is on there, and understandably so.

http://ccuh.ucdavis.edu/events/roses-2012/your-sustainable-backyard-roses

Rosefolly

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Davis Arboretum All Stars

Comments (5)