SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Earthkind Rose of the Year: Mme. Antoine Mari

luxrosa
15 years ago

I was tickled pink to see a rose that I've loved since seeing it in Luannes garden in Richmond.

"Mme. Antoine Mari" has not only made it onto the Earthkind list, but has been designated as its' Rose of the Year for 2008.

There are only 17 roses that have received this designation and they are grown for years under harsh conditions in Texas.

They were grown own-root, and though they were mulched,

-the soil had no amendments dug in and no fertilizers or sprays, either fungicidal or insecticidal, were used during the years of the trial period.

- in the first trials in the 1990s, after the first year they were planted, the original 11 cultivars of trial rosebushes receive NO suplemental water, and survived 67 continuous days of drought, in Texas.

Earthkind roses include: "Perle d'Or", "Marie Daly" Climbing "Pinkie", and "New Dawn"

-Presently there are ongoing trials done by volunteers in their home gardens, and "Lamarque" is now being studied, as well as "Reve d'Or". Well, I'm excited about this.

Earthkind roses are a great boon, for gardeners who have similar climatic conditions to the Texas rose trial gardens.

Lux.

My one caveat concerning Earthkind roses, is that they were tested in one climate only. In cool coastal regions, where powdery mildew is a common problem, two roses that won the Earthkind designation "Ducher" and "Georgetown Tea"

defoliated by 85%, and 70%, in my organic garden near San Francisco, California, and with so few leaves, a rosebush cannot photosynthesize well, or produce roses.

Comments (12)