SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathyg_in_mi

Amazon prime

kathyg_in_mi
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

A little bird has told me that it is making BIG changes. It may be set up so 2 adults and 4 kids can be on the same prime, but purchases must be on one credit card.

No more "sharing"with friends.

Anyone else heard anything?

Comments (39)

• Annegriet
    8 years ago

Well, that stinks!

• Lindsey_CA
    8 years ago

The "sharing" of Amazon Prime has always been, to my knowledge, only for folks living in the same household. I'm sure many people have cheated, though. My husband and I each have our own Prime accounts because we prefer to charge on different cards. My sister is on her husband's Prime account.

• Related Discussions

Kindle Owners Library?(amazon prime)

Q

Comments (22)
    I mostly use the library (which is a county wide library system and I believe may pull across the state). Occasionally though, a kindle book is not available from the library. I know sometimes amazon has promotions but I was super happy to be able to use the lending library for prime members. LOVE my paper white, and LOVE not having to wait for the library to be open to borrow from the library and or amazon. As an aside, there is another site, gutenberg.org which has all free ebooks, most of which are older and no longer subject to copyright$$. I have found some wonderful classics there (such as Three Men in a Boat)
    ...See More

I finally 'discovered' Amazon Prime

Q

Comments (27)
    I order from Amazon a lot. I used to use it only for the quick shipping but I recently started occasionally using Prime Video. Sometimes I'll order from Walmart(dot)com. Usually I can do better there when ordering non-perishable grocery items. I'm on a budget so I compare prices. If it costs more to order online than walking into Walmart, I walk into Walmart and get it. Paying more for the convenience, or having to tip for a Walmart grocery delivery, doesn't fit into my budget. I'd love it if Amazon would extent Amazon Fresh into my area. I was hoping the pandemic would nudge them into it but it has not. Amazon prices (even when sold by Amazon) can vary anywhere from a really good deal to an absolute ripoff so I sometimes make use of the 3 camel Firefox addon to notify me when an Amazon listing drops to the price point I specify: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/the-camelizer-price-history-ch/ When/if Walmart finally goes back up 24 hours, I'll likely return to my old routine. Shop often, just getting a handful of items, whatever looks good at the time. Late at night they were never busy. This town is rat-racy right up until... 10 PM or so but then it's dead, which I love.
    ...See More

Dream Home - China (Amazon Prime)

Q

Comments (9)
    Not West Coast specific. I was able to watch it. I admit, however, that I skipped ahead quite often. The apartment configuration was hard for me to understand. It took a while for me to understand the function of “the public aisle.” Since all the other users of the public aisle refused to contribute to the remodel, I had to wonder where the money came from.
    ...See More

The Rose Maker on Amazon Prime

Q

Comments (3)
    We watched it a couple of weeks ago... very good. Even my husband liked it a lot. At one point early on, I groaned at something that was slightly sketchy rose-wise, and my DH shot me the same look he gives me when I complain about any movie about teaching, or chemistry. So I just went with the flow :-D
    ...See More
  • moonie_57 (8 NC)
    8 years ago

I wasn't taking advantage of my Prime account and dropped it a few months ago. I'm so sorry I did and am now considering it again. As I understood it, the account can be shared by 2 adults in the same house, as Lindsey said. How do you share with friends unless the account is set up that way? The only big change I can see is that now you can add your 4 kids, should you be fortunate enough to have 4. lol

• terilyn
    8 years ago

We have two accounts also, didn't want to share books. Too much difference in reading lists! Seems crazy to pay for two accounts.

• Fun2BHere
    8 years ago

How is that different than the way it is now?

• jewels_ks
    8 years ago

Well we have ours set up through my daughter's college account and we get it half price. Hopefully that won't change.

• plllog
    8 years ago

Fun, I think it's the single credit card. I use three different cards on my account, and I don't want to have three separate accounts to be able to use three cards. Hopefully, they'll separate it by login.

I'm sure this is a way to up their income, especially if "sharing" includes the unrecoverable freebies. A lot of times, the shipping charge is built into the price of prime items, but all that bandwidth for music and videos streaming for no extra charge must be costing them fortunes. Making people pay on one card insures that it's really family, or close enough to it, rather than your next door neighbor's cousin.

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

Sharing Amazon prime? How does that even work?

I remember sharing Netflix, all you need is user name and password but Prime has all my bank info tied in, one click ordering, etc. How was this being shared with others?

• chisue
    8 years ago

Wouldn't people get around that by sending 'gifts' to other addresses?

• sjerin
    8 years ago

Oh, I hope not.

Texas, under your account info and even on the payment page, you have the option of adding other credit cards. We share with our daughters and each has her own card listed, which she checks when ordering. You can also list any addresses you want, but have to be sure the correct one is checked, just as with the card. It's all very easy and I sure do hope they don't change it. Dds would probably not buy their own prime as they don't have much disposable income.

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

Sjerin- I see. I do have several different payment types listed and a few different addresses (gifts I've sent) but I would never give my login info to someone else. If someone wants something ordered from Prime, they ask me and I do it for them while they give me the money.

Guess I'm stingy! :)

• plllog
    8 years ago

I've been poking around trying to find Kathy's little bird, but haven't found anything after last August's changes.

• Fun2BHere
    8 years ago

Thank, Plllog, for the clarification.

• Lindsey_CA
    8 years ago

Like, Plllog, I've been looking around but haven't found anything regarding new, upcoming changes for Amazon Prime. I think KathyG_in_MI came across (or someone told her about) the old changes from August 2015 and she/they thought that new changes were going to be made.

Selected quotes from an online CNN article dated 03 August 2015:

"In the past, members could add up to four people to their Prime account by entering their names, relationships, birthdays, and email addresses. Invitees would need to know the member's month and day of birth to accept the invitation."

"Now, you can only share your account with one other adult."

"Previously, the only benefit that could be extended beyond the primary account holder was two-day shipping. After the recent change, both adults have access to Prime shipping benefits, Prime Instant Video, Kindle Owners' Lending Library and Prime Early Access."

"Both adult account holders need to authorize each other to use credit and debit cards associated with their Amazon accounts for purchases on Amazon."

"Amazon Households lets you add up to four child profiles to your account. They don't need their own accounts and they cannot make purchases."

"Amazon Student Prime members or invited guests of other Prime members can't share their benefits. Good thing the student account already costs half of the normal Prime membership."

Again, the above quotes are from an online CNN article. This article covers everything the OP said except for the comment about all purchases needing to be on one credit card. Per the article, the two adults much each authorize the other to use credit cards that are associated with the account. In that regard, the OP's little bird gave her incorrect information.

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

"A lot of times, the shipping charge is built into the price of prime items,"

Is this from your own knowledge or is it speculation? If that were the case, how does Amazon manage to do that and still have such competitive prices? And how is it that non-Prime members pay the same price but just get slower delivery?

On the Prime sharing thing, it's Amazon's bat and ball, they can make the rules to be whatever they wish. Nothing personal, but I hope they start enforcing compliance with their terms and conditions because those who stretch the sharing beyond what is permitted make the Prime charge more expensive for those who do follow the rules. From that perspective, it's a matter of fairness.

• Lindsey_CA
    8 years ago

Snidely pointed out a portion of what Plllog said in a previous post. I will share more of it: "A lot of times, the shipping charge is built into the price of prime items, but all that bandwidth for music and videos streaming for no extra charge must be costing them fortunes."

I agree with Snidely that the shipping charge isn't built into the price of Prime items. As he pointed out, those without a Prime account purchase the item for the same price, but they endure slower shipping, and pay a shipping fee as well.

As for the bandwidth issue - I will again quote from the CNN article online: "Previously, the only benefit that could be extended beyond the primary account holder was two-day shipping. After the recent change, both adults have access to Prime shipping benefits, Prime Instant Video, Kindle Owners' Lending Library and Prime Early Access." (emphasis added)

• plllog
    8 years ago

I DON'T MAKE THINGS UP. I marked the part I was speculating about, which was the potential reasoning behind the possible one credit card idea, which thing we only knew from the little bird, with "I'm sure this is a way to up their income," which is rhetorical phrasing for this is an inference, by limiting how much stuff you get from Prime to fewer consumers. I still stand behind that speculation.

Yes, it's true that someone without Prime will get the same item at the same price without the faster shipping, but if you look at multiple entries of the same item on Amazon, you'll see that often ones that aren't available for Prime shipping cost the shipping amount less. Amazon will post a message saying that other vendors have the item for less than Amazon is offering it for, themselves, as well. This is mostly on Marketplace--that is, outside vendors, who may be adjusting the prices of their offerings to be in line with Amazon's--items, though I also, if I remember right, on some that are fulfilled by Amazon and could otherwise go for Prime and still ship free, but has also been true when I've checked the prices on other sites. It's easier to buy on Amazon, but sometimes that extra $5, especially when I don't need it right away, makes a big difference on whether I want it or not, and I get it that someplace else.

Another way to see this in action is when a vendor has multiple versions of an item available. The purple one will be available on Prime, and cost $5 (approx.) more. If you want the gold, pink, or navy blue one, it costs less, but no Prime, and maybe no free shipping (but if you get several, the shipping may be $6.25, not $15).

Lindsey, yes, both adults in the Household Sharing scheme have access to all the freebies. What's been happening is that groups of friends have all been using the same Prime account, so you have five people in three different houses all streaming different shows. If you investigate further, you'll find that they also grandfathered in non-household sharing groups who got riled up about the Household Sharing change. Under the old rules, you could have up to four adults sharing Prime, and, if I understand correctly from the articles, using different logins and credit info (I never used it myself, so only read through the rules once years ago). Under the August scheme, again, from the articles I've read, the Household Sharing adults can still use separate Amazon accounts, but share each other's financial info. So if you have shared finances in your marriage, sharing them on Amazon is no biggie, but if you're just a group of friends, you shouldn't go there even if you want to.

To reconcile with the little bird, it may be that the "one credit card" really meant one pocket, but however many cards you'd ordinarily have.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

I have noticed recently that the free shipping option on Amazon used to be if over $35 has now jumped up to if over $49 I believe it is. That's a big jump and a big deal. I don't have prime, I just wouldn't use enough of the options to make it worth while but with that change in price it could be something to think about. I almost got prime on the latest price drop special but decided against it. I have seen instances where an item I wanted to buy had a different price if you had prime, lower price with prime.

My sister and her boys share her account they use the heck out of it.

• lucillle
    8 years ago

Raven, you can try it free for 30 days to see if you think it is worthwhile. I tried it but decided against it, mostly for issues beyond Amazon's control such as the shippers dropping off packages on my driveway instead of around the corner at my door. The sidewalk leading up to the driveway is what the high school students use coming and going, I just did not want packages out there in plain view.

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    8 years ago

OP here. My little bird is usually spot on. She told me to watch when I ordered something to see if I was charged shipping. I don't order very often, so it may be awhile before I order. If I can't use Prime, well no big deal. It was nice while it lasted. Will mention to her when next we speak.

I just thought someone might know more. Kathy G in MI

• Lindsey_CA
    8 years ago

KathyG, are you saying, essentially, that you are using a friend's Prime account and that she gave you a "heads up" that you may be charged shipping from now on? If so, my guess is that perhaps Amazon is starting to crack down on folks who violate the "two adults in the same household" rule.

That would be relatively easy for Amazon to do by devoting enough employees to the task. IF, for example, that's what you're doing, then Amzon would see that whenever one credit card is used, purchases always go to one name at one address, but purchases made with a different card always go to a different name at a different address.

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

Mumbo jumbo worthy of the Wasilla High Essay Contest. Deja vu all over again.

Lindsey, screening as you describe (at least on a preliminary basis) be easily done by simple software. I agree, though, this little bird seems to be more than 6 months late on breaking news.

• plllog
    8 years ago

True to form, having no facts to offer a cogent counter argument, just fling insults.

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

What facts do you think are relevant? You made an incorrect comment, I wasn't alone in challenging its veracity. Nothing more.

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

I just checked, because of Raven's comment that they upped the requirement for free shipping. We're still free for $25

• Julie
    8 years ago

I've ordered many books for less than $25 and even gotten the free shipping. Is there really a minimum? If so, I've never worried about it and have never been charged for it. Strange.

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The bird is a relative! Very reliable. Kathy G in MI

• Lindsey_CA
    8 years ago

Is your bird relative an employee of Amazon? Married to an employee of Amazon? BFFs with an employee of Amazon?

• maddielee
    8 years ago

Pretty sure these changes happened July 31, 2015....here's an article written on August 3, 2015. CNN Prime changes article

• Lindsey_CA
    8 years ago

Maddielee, I posted quotes from -- and a link to -- that article several posts up the line.

Amazon DID make a big announcement today about payments. But KathyG_in_MI's little bird was WAY off the mark.

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lindsey et al, maybe my sis is off base on this, but she works on her computer all day and even buys groceries online. She is very knowledgeable, but I knew if there was any more info on this my friends would at the KT would find it. If nothing else I feel more secure that I'll still be using Amazon for a long time.

Thanks all for the input. Kathy G in MI

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

"she works on her computer all day and even buys groceries online"

Aim higher, kathyg. I'm sure you sister is a nice person but these words stop very far short of describing someone with expert or other inside knowledge not known to the general public.

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No, Snide, she does much more than that. Just don't feel her expertise needs to be in question here. She does not work for Amazon and said she had heard these things. All I wanted to know is if anyone else had heard.

Ya know Snide, don't believe everything you read on the internet. Question it all!

Smile, life is good! Kathy G

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

The "news" was questioned because it appeared to be rather old (not new) and perhaps a bit misunderstood. And proved to be. Nothing more.

Smiling is always a good thing to do.

• arkansas girl
    8 years ago

We just renewed our Prime and they did tell us we had to share a credit card. Of course, when it comes to the point when you pay for things, you can choose another credit card to pay with.

• lucillle
    7 years ago

I think customer service is spotty. I just ordered a dog crate that specified 3 day shipping for Prime members. It was shipped standard, and when I asked, they said that it was too heavy for Prime shipping, despite the advertisement.

• Suzieque
    7 years ago

Lucille - Amazon Prime isn't 3-day shipping, it's 2. Are you sure you ordered from Amazon and not from a marketplace seller? Which crate is it? I'm also looking for a dog crate.

• lucillle
    7 years ago

There are some larger items that specifically mention more than 2 days for Prime shipment, if you go look at several of the large crates (and other large items) you will see this.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH