SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_laurayankee

Kerdi membrane questions

mrs_laurayankee
8 years ago

Hi all,

I have immersed myself in forum reading on this topic and it has been so helpful. I have a few questions that seem to get different responses and one I can't find answered.

My husband and I bought a home that hasn't been updated since it was built in 1950. We are remodeling while we live here with our three children, so...that's fun. Ha! We are concentrating on the bathroom at the moment. We had a shower line put in as there was only a tub spout in the one working bathroom we have as of now. The walls are plaster over a layer of drywall (not lathe...weird, I know). Now we are faced with waterproofing the walls which have for all their existence been painted with semi-gloss and left alone. They aren't in bad shape, and we didn't want to rip out the walls to the studs. Instead, we discovered Shluter and bought Kerdi membrane to install over the painted plaster walls. However, I used joint compound over a layer of plaster of Paris when trying to even out the walls that had been cut into during the plumbing work described above. (There was also work done around the tub spout, so that is plaster and joint compound as well.) Additionally, the space between the tub and the wall is about 1/4 - 1/2 inch wide in some places and is definitely not flush despite putting in a layer of silicone. I have attached a picture to help. I did learn that I need to prime the joint compound before using the thinset, but I have several other questions.

1) Can I use a lightly modified thinset (versabond) instead of unmodified? (I know this will void the warranty, but will it hold better?

2) The plaster wall substrate is not even, particularly where the wall meets the tub, as mentioned. Will this cause a problem when tiling or will the Kerdi membrane help create a flush surface for better tiling?

3) Should I score the painted wall before applying the thinset to help it adhere better?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)