SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
haldd

Win10 uninstalling programs

haldd
8 years ago

Yesterday I spent about 4 1/2 hours upgrading an Asus Zenbook to Win10 from 8.1. It took 4 attempts. It would go through downloading then hang on the installation process. On the 4th attempt I let it reformat everything for a "clean" install and it worked. Sorta...

It didn't remove a program I had installed in 8.1 - classic shell (from the Windows store) that provided a start menu. This caused a pop up window to appear saying win10 could not start because it was missing a dll listing.

I called Microsoft first. They won't provide any supoort unless you pay $150 a year. Next I called Asus. I'm happy to say they solved it - by having me do another "clean" install. I should probably add that Classic shell was listed in the uninstall programs list in control panel, but it was greyed out so it couldn't be uninstalled.

Im passing this on in case someone else has a similar problem. I guess if the upgrade doesn't uninstall 8 and 8.1 specific programs you just have to keep trying the upgrade over and over...

Comments (4)