SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ehogan824

Coffee Tree Gritty Mix Repot

EHH824
8 years ago

I recently repotted a Coffee Tree houseplant which had been in my earliest version/attempt of the gritty mix. As time past following my early repots, I studied tons of gritty mix discussions and worked hard to acquire the appropriate ingredients for my houseplant GM.

As the photos below show, the original mix was not screened well and contained many DE fines along with Large pine bark pieces. The NAPA Floor Dry I used had passed the freeze test, but ended up brittle and unsatisfactory (to me atleast). While this original mix was far from ideal, it did seem to be well liked by this plant (darn healthy root system!).

The current mix that I'm now using contains Manna Pro Granite, Turface MVP, and Fir Bark which I purchased from the local orchid society (North Eastern). Needless to say, it out performs earlier mixes 10 to 1.

After removing the plant from its container, I removed as much of the old mix as I could using my Trusty ChopStick (sharpened, of course). Then I thoroughly rinsed the roots of all remaining debris. Prior to potting, I outfitted the TC pot with a wick and screen, and gave the roots a quick snip (had to cut atleast some!).

The pictures below should walk you through the entire process, as I tried my best to photograph each step. I welcome everyone's questions and comments, and will continue to post progress photos when I can.

Once again, my sincerest thanks go out to the Tap Man for sharing his wealth of knowledge and encouragement (and the Gritty Mix recipe).

Original plant

Old gritty mix

Coffee Tree Gritty Mix Repot · More Info
Large Bark

Fresh new mix
Snipped roots