SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691928

Is anyone planning summer vegetable gardening?

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

It's already getting warm, and I'm thinking my Cherokee Purple and Mortgage Lifter tomatoes are not going to grow fast enough to bear before it gets too hot, but my own fault. I should have started them earlier and pushed them harder.

Anyway, I do have cherry tomatoes that should do well and I've started some peppers. I'd love to grow okra, and I may just try to do that on the outside of the wall, just a few plants. My neighbors will probably think they're just more hibiscus.

The sweet potatoes from that one vine I planted last year are coming up all over, and I have a few more slips to plant elsewhere. I'll have to buy my eggplant start, because I didn't get my seeds in time, and I didn't like the one I grew last year, so I'm not growing it again. I figure if I only have 16 sf of full sun, I should cram it full of whatever I can, right?

My neighbor wants to plant a garden, but he hasn't even prepared his spot yet. I have starts for him, but they're going to have to go into the soil soon, or he's just out of luck. He wants to grow cucumbers, and I tried to tell him it's probably too late, but he wants to try, and I have 300 extra Marketmore seeds, so what's the harm, really? Maybe he'll get a couple.

The pigeon pea seeds I planted are coming up, so I'll have at least two more of those. I planted 4 seeds in each spot, but I only see one of each coming up, but that's enough. I need to plant my edible hibiscus seeds soon; sabdariffa and mechowii. I'm still looking for H. acetosella seeds, in case anyone has some to share.

Also want to plant some turmeric and ginger. I want to do too much, I think. I always get carried away in the spring and end up throwing plants away in the summer.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner