SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edlincoln

Tree for Embankment Over Marsh

edlincoln
8 years ago

My significant other has finally decided to take down the huge, ancient, sick looking white pine next to their house. I want to have some tree suggestions so they don't end up planting something stupid like Silver Maple or crepe Myrtle.

The spot is between the deck and a south facing embankment above a yard that is mostly marsh in the Spring. Maybe 15-30 feet from the deck? Beyond the smallish yard is a tiny swamp. Soil is easy to work, seems rich in organic matter, but badly draining. (Although this spot is on top of a hill). Theoretically zone 6a, but I think closer to Zone 5 then Zone 7. Gets a lot of snow. There are deer, but they are well fed enough to be picky and skittish. The trees that grow in the area are lots of huge, ancient, sick looking white pine and spruce, huge happy looking willow, and small red maple.

Ideal Wish List:

1. Strong Wooded/Doesn't Drop Branches

2. Not Messy. (Looms over deck)

3. OK with swampy soil. (The spots it's roots will reach to if they go very far are wet.)

4. Not picky about changes in soil level. (There may be a mudslide or regrading attempt down the road)

5. Native to North America. (It's near a wetland...I don't want non-natives spreading into there.)

6. Provides food for birds

7. Roots help hold together embankment

8. Roots won't invade foundation. (Possibly mutually incompatible with #7)

9. Nothing grows under it. (It's perched above an umowable spot)

(I know I won't get all of the).

Doesn't have to be small...it's replacing a rather large white pine.

Comments (30)