SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane2516

Opinions on bathroom finishes?

Jane
8 years ago

I have a split level home, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a living room on each level.

If I sell the house in the future, I need to remodel the lower (garden) level bath. It is currently listed as 1/2 bath on Trulia but it actually has a dark 30" square shower in an alcove with a cracked plastic pan. (I used it during the remodel of the other bathroom and it was no fun.) The bathroom ceilings are only 7' high.

The lower level bath is also a laundry room. I don't use it much except for laundry. It would be a guest bathroom for entertaining since it is next to a media room.

The plan for the remodel is to put a stacked w/d in a closet with a door, and convert the shower to a 32x60 glass door shower. Kohler makes an enameled cast iron shower base which is what I want to install to eliminate the probability of shower floor leaks. (It will be like a bathtub with short walls, but the one they have now is not unattractive. It's contemporary and linear.) The pan comes in different colors. The pan is a must-have because I have never had a shower floor that didn't leak. I'm a bathtub girl.

My bathroom floor is currently tiled with this brown 8" tile that has held up well for a couple of decades. It has not shown any wear or cracks. I may need to install a few more tiles when I take out the shower alcove wall, or I could replace the floor tile. The floor is probably not level but that has not been an issue for me in this house.

It's probably a little lighter IRL.

So... I need to figure out what the finishes will be for the remodeled bath. Should I go cheap or do a full remodel? Shower and w/d wall plumbing will have to be moved and I need to buy the shower pan and glass doors but the shower drain will not move, so no slab replumbing should be required.

I painted the walls white and it really brightened up the room. They used to be ivory and it felt small and gross in there.

Toilet will be white.

I bought a cheap white rectangular solid surface sink counter for the 24" vanity years ago but haven't installed it yet. I was planning to paint the simple builder vanity espresso brown, or I could replace the vanity and sink with same size. The vanity is nestled in a corner.

What should the finishes be for:

wall paint

floor tile

shower wall tile *

shower pan *

vanity

sink

* Asterisked items must be replaced. Other items could be replaced.

I was thinking I could do a simple white cheap subway tile for the shower wall since I like white walls. But I don't know if it would look good with the floor tile. I thought the shower pan should be white, since the toilet is white and the sink will probably stay white. But a white shower pan may not look good with colored wall tile. I could do a decorative stripe and/or niche in the shower.

My tendency is to go designer with this remodel but it is really motivated by increasing the house value by giving the house effectively a nice full bath on the lower level. If a family buys the house, kids would be living downstairs. The rest of the house will be moderately "nice" (wood floors on upper level, white millwork, etc.).

Comments (2)